Ambient Gamification of Automobile Driving to Encourage Safety Behaviors
Unsafe driving has a negative effect on society and its citizens since it leads to traffic accidents. Most states penalize unsafe driving; however, this potential for penalization does not change how people drive and alternate ways must be found. With the aim of persuading people to change how they drive, we propose to gamify the driving activity through ambient devices that provide drivers with awareness about their driving behavior. In this paper, we present the design of ambient devices that we propose to offer a seamless drivers’ interaction with a game that challenge players to avoid risky driving behaviors.
Keywordsgamification behavior change ambient displays context-awareness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Global status report on road safety 2013 (2013), http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_traffic/en/
- 3.Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., Nacke, L.: From game design elements to gamefulness: Definiung “gamification”. In: ACM Academic MindTrek Conference, pp. 9–15 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Fogg, B.J.: Persuasive technology: Using computers to change what we think and do. Ubiquity (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.AXA Application available at, http://axadrive.mx/
- 6.Ecker, R., Holzer, P., Broy, V., Butz, A.: Ecochallenge: A race for efficiency. In: ACM Conf. on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, pp. 91–94 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.McCall, R., Koenig, V.: Gaming concepts and incentives to change driver behaviour. In: Ad Hoc Networking Workshop (Med-Hoc-Net), pp. 146–151. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Shi, C., Lee, H.J., Kurczal, J., Lee, A.: Routine driving infotainment app: Gamification of performance driving. In: Adjunct Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Automotive User Interfaces and Interactive Vehicular Applications, pp. 181–183 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Holtzblatt, K., Wendell, J.B., Wood, S.: Rapid contextual design, p. 320. Morgan Kaufman/Elsevier, San Francisco (2005)Google Scholar