ARIIMA: A Real IoT Implementation of a Machine-Learning Architecture for Reducing Energy Consumption
As the inclusion of more devices and appliances within the IoT ecosystem increases, methodologies for lowering their energy consumption impact are appearing. On this field, we contribute with the implementation of a RESTful infrastructure that gives support to Internet-connected appliances to reduce their energy waste in an intelligent fashion. Our work is focused on coffee machines located in common spaces where people usually do not care on saving energy, e.g. the workplace. The proposed approach lets these kind of appliances report their usage patterns and to process their data in the Cloud through ARIMA predictive models. The aim such prediction is that the appliances get back their next-week usage forecast in order to operate autonomously as efficient as possible. The underlying distributed architecture design and implementation rationale is discussed in this paper, together with the strategy followed to get an accurate prediction matching with the real data retrieved by four coffee machines.
KeywordsIoT RESTful Infrastructure Machine Learning ARIMA Models Eco-aware Everyday Things Energy Efficiency Coffee-Maker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The LinkSmart Project (August 2014), http://www.hydramiddleware.eu/
- 2.Qin, W., et al.: RestThing: A Restful Web service infrastructure for mash-up physical and Web resources. In: Proc. of EUC 2011, pp. 197–204 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Vega-Barbas, M., Casado-Mansilla, D., et al.: Smart Spaces and Smart Objects Interoperability Architecture (S3OiA). In: Proc. of IMIS 2012, pp. 725–730 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Gao, L., Zhang, C., et al.: RESTful Web of Things API in sharing sensor data. In: Proc. of ICITST 2011, pp. 1–4 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, H.-I.: Constructing the Green Campus within the Internet of Things Architecture. Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, 1–8 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Weiss, M., Guinard, D.: Increasing Energy Awareness Through Web-enabled Power Outlets. In: MUM 2010, pp. 20–30 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.López-de-Armentia, J., Casado-Mansilla, D., López-de-Ipiña, D.: Reducing energy waste through eco-aware every-day things. Journal of MIS 10(1) (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Seung-Seok, C., et al.: A Survey of Binary Similarity and Distance Measures. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics 8(1) (2010)Google Scholar