XTMS in Action: Retrosynthetic Design in the Extended Metabolic Space of Heterologous Pathways for High-Value Compounds
Despite the increase in recent years in the portfolio of added-value chemicals that can be microbially produced, the design process still remains a complex system, costly and rather slow. To overcome such limitations, the development of Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) tools is necessary to design production pathways that systematically screen metabolic databases to select best genes to import into chassis organisms. Here, we showcase the XTMS CAD tool for pathway design, which exploits the ability for pathway ranking in our RetroPath retrosynthetic algorithm within an extended metabolic space that considers putative routes through enzyme promiscuity. The validity of the ranking function for the production of malonyl-CoA, an important precursor for added-value compounds, is shown.
Keywordssynthetic biology metabolic engineering promiscuity computer-aided-design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cho, A., Yun, H., Park, J.H., Lee, S.Y., Park, S.: Prediction of novel synthetic pathways for the production of desired chemicals. BMC Systems Biology (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.McClymont, K., Orkun, S.: Metabolic tinker: an online tool for guiding the design of synthetic metabolic pathways. Nucl. Acids Res. (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Campodonico, M.A., Andrews, B.A., Asenjo, J.A., Palsson, B.O., Feist, A.M.: Generation of an atlas for commodity chemical production in Escherichia coli and a novel pathway prediction algorithm, GEM-Path. Metabolic Engineering (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Carbonell, P., Parutto, P., Herisson, J., Pandit, S.B., Faulon, J.L.: XTMS: pathway design in an eXTended metabolic space. Nucleic Acids Res. (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Carbonell, P., Planson, A.G., Fichera, D., Faulon, J.L.: A retrosynthetic biology approach to metabolic pathway design for therapeutic production. BMC Syst. Biol. (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Feher, T., Planson, A.G., Carbonell, P., Fernandez-Castane, A., Grigoras, I., Dariy, E., Perret, A., Faulon, J.L.: Validation of RetroPath, a computer aided design tool for metabolic pathway engineering. Biotech. J. (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, D., Xiao, Y., Evans, B., Zhang, F.: Negative feedback regulation of fatty acid production based on a Malonyl-CoA Sensor Actuator. ACS Synth. Biol. (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Faulon, J.L., Visco, D., Pophale, R.: The Signature Molecular Descriptor. 1. Using Extended Valence Sequences in QSAR and QSPR Studies. Journal of Chemical Information and Computer Sciences (2003)Google Scholar