A Fast Mathematical Morphological Algorithm of Video-Based Moving Forklift Truck Detection in Noisy Environment
The problem of automatic detection of the moving forklift truck in video data is explored. This task is formulated in terms of computer vision approach as a moving object detection in noisy environment. It is shown that the state-of-the-art local descriptors (SURF, SIFT, FAST, ORB) are not characterized with satisfactory detection quality if the camera resolution is low, the lighting is changed dramatically and shadows are observed. In this paper we propose to use a simple mathematical morphological algorithm to detect the presence of a cargo on the forklift truck. Its first step is the estimation of the movement direction and the front part of the truck by using the updating motion history image. The second step is the application of Canny contour detection and binary morphological operations in front of the moving object to estimate simple geometric features of empty forklift. The algorithm is implemented with the OpenCV library. Our experimental study shows that the best results are achieved if the difference of the width of bounding rectangles is used as a feature. Namely, the detection accuracy is 78.7 % (compare with 40 % achieved by the best local descriptor), while the average frame processing time is only 5 ms (compare with 35 ms for the fastest descriptor).
KeywordsObject detection Video-based recognition Noisy environment Motion history image SURF Binary morphology Canny operator Forklift truck detection
Andrey Savchenko is supported by RSF (Russian Science Foundation) grant 14-41-00039.
- 1.Shapiro, L., Stockman, G.: Computer Vision. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Sonka, M., Hlavac, V., Boyle, R.: Image Processing, Analysis, and Machine Vision, 4th edn. Cengage Learning, Stamford (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.ISS (Intelligence Secure Systems). http://www.iss.ru/
- 11.Najman, L., Talbot, H. (eds.): Mathematical Morphology: From Theory to Applications. Wiley-ISTE, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.ISS video dataset. ftp://isstemp:email@example.com/Loaders/Video/
- 13.Canny, J.A.: Computational Approach to Edge Detection, pp. 679–698. IEEE Computer Society (1986)Google Scholar
- 14.OpenCV library. http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/