A Gradient Method for Generating Facial Barcodes
We propose a method for generating standard type linear barcodes from facial images. Our method uses the difference in gradients of image brightness. It involves averaging the gradients into a limited number of intervals, quantization of the results into decimal digits from 0 to 9, and table conversion into the final barcode. The proposed solution is computationally low-cost and does not require the use of any specialized image processing software for generating facial barcodes in mobile systems. Results of tests conducted on the Face94 database show that the proposed method offers a new solution for use in real-world practice. The generated barcodes are stable against changes of scale, pose and mirroring of facial images, as well as changes of facial expressions and shadows on faces from local lighting.
KeywordsFacial images Brightness gradients Barcodes Mobile systems
This work was partially financially supported by the Government of the Russian Federation, Grant 074-U01.
- 1.Heeter, T.W.: Method for verifying human identity during electronic sale transactions. US Patent 5878155A (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Barcode/Tattoos. http://www.barcodeart.com/store/wearable/tattoos
- 3.Matveev, Y.N.: Technologies of biometric identification of a person by voice and other modalities. Vestnik MGTU. Priborostroenie, Spec. Issue Biometric Technol. 3, 46–61 (2012) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 4.Forczmanski, P., Kukharev, G., Shchegoleva, N.: An algorithm of face recognition under difficult lighting conditions. Electr. Rev. 10b, 201–204 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.UPC & EAN Barcode FAQ Tutorial: http://www.idautomation.com/barcode-faq/upc-ean/
- 7.Facial Barcodes Help Us Identify People. http://www.barcodesinc.com/news/?p=92
- 8.Querinini, M., Italiano, G.F.: Facial recognition with 2D color barcodes. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Appl. 10(1), 78–97 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Hitrov, M.V. (ed.) Methods of facial images processing and recognition in biometrics, Politechnika, Saint Petersburg (2013) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 10.Face94 data base. http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/mv/allfaces/faces94.html