Algorithm Selection on Data Streams
We explore the possibilities of meta-learning on data streams, in particular algorithm selection. In a first experiment we calculate the characteristics of a small sample of a data stream, and try to predict which classifier performs best on the entire stream. This yields promising results and interesting patterns. In a second experiment, we build a meta-classifier that predicts, based on measurable data characteristics in a window of the data stream, the best classifier for the next window. The results show that this meta-algorithm is very competitive with state of the art ensembles, such as OzaBag, OzaBoost and Leveraged Bagging. The results of all experiments are made publicly available in an online experiment database, for the purpose of verifiability, reproducibility and generalizability.
KeywordsMeta Learning Data Stream Mining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bache, K., Lichman, M.: UCI machine learning repository (2013), http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml
- 2.Bifet, A., Gavalda, R.: Learning from Time-Changing Data with Adaptive Windowing. In: SDM, vol. 7, pp. 139–148. SIAM (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bifet, A., Holmes, G., Kirkby, R., Pfahringer, B.: MOA: Massive Online Analysis. J. Mach. Learn. Res. 11, 1601–1604 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Domingos, P., Hulten, G.: Mining high-speed data streams. In: Proceedings of the Sixth ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 71–80 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Oza, N.C.: Online Bagging and Boosting. In: 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 3, pp. 2340–2345. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Pfahringer, B., Bensusan, H., Giraud-Carrier, C.: Tell me who can learn you and I can tell you who you are: Landmarking various learning algorithms. In: Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Machine Learning, pp. 743–750 (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.van Rijn, J.N., Holmes, G., Pfahringer, B., Vanschoren, J.: The Bayesian Network Generator: A data stream generator. Tech. Rep. 03/2014, Computer Science Department, University of Waikato (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Schapire, R.E.: The Strength of Weak Learnability. Machine Learning 5(2), 197–227 (1990)Google Scholar
- 20.Wang, H., Fan, W., Yu, P.S., Han, J.: Mining Concept-Drifting Data Streams using Ensemble Classifiers. In: KDD, pp. 226–235 (2003)Google Scholar