On the Automatic Normalization of Plaque Regions in Ultrasound Images of the Carotid
In order to assess the atherosclerotic plaque disruption risk from B-mode ultrasound images of the carotid, an appropriate normalization of the plaque regions is required. This is usually achieved through the manual selection of two sample regions in the image containing blood and adventitia tissues, which are used as reference.
In this work, we propose a new plaque region normalization method that takes advantage of multiple blood and adventitia reference samples per image, and a method for the automatic selection of these reference samples. Several preliminary results are provided in order to demonstrate the possible capabilities of the proposed methods.
KeywordsAttenuation Acoustics Corti
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Acharya, U.R., Faust, O., Sree, S.V., Alvin, A.P.C., Krishnamurthi, G., Seabra, J.C.R., Sanches, J., Suri, J.S.: Atheromatic: symptomatic vs. asymptomatic classification of carotid ultrasound plaque using a combination of HOS, DWT & texture. In: Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 4489–4492 (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Afonso, D., Seabra, J., Suri, J.S., Sanches, J.M.: A CAD system for atherosclerotic plaque assessment. In: Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 1008–1011 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Trouboul, P.J., et al.: Mannheim Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Consensus (2004–2006-2011). An Update on Behalf of the Advisory Board of the 3rd, 4th and 5th Watching the Risk Symposium 13th, 15th and 20th European Stroke Conferences, Mannheim, Germany, 2004, Brussels, Belgium, 2006 and Hamburg, Germany 2011. Cerebrovascular Diseases 34, 290–296 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Griffin, M.B., Kyriacou, E., Pattichis, C., Bond, D., Kakkos, S.K., Sabetai, M., Geroulakos, G., Georgiou, N., Doré, C.J., Nicolaides, A.: Juxtaluminal hypoechoic area in ultrasonic images of carotid plaques and hemispheric symptoms. Journal of Vascular Surgery 52(1), 69–76 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kyriacou, E.C., Pattichis, C., Pattichis, M., Loizou, C., Christodoulou, C., Kakkos, S.K., Nicolaides, A.N.: A review of noninvasive ultrasound image processing methods in the analysis of carotid plaque morphology for the assessment of stroke risk. IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine 14(4), 1027–1038 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Östling, G., Persson, M., Hedblad, B., Gonçalves, I.: Comparison of grey scale median (GSM) measurement in ultrasound images of human carotid plaques using two different softwares. Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging 33(6), 431–435 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Rouco, J., Campilho, A.: Robust Common Carotid Artery Lumen Detection in B-Mode Ultrasound Images using Local Phase Symmetry. In: 2013 IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 929–933 (May 2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Tegos, T.J., Sabetai, M.M., Nicolaides, A.N., Pare, G., Elatrozy, T.S., Dhanjil, S., Griffin, M.: Comparability of the ultrasonic tissue characteristics of carotid plaques. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 19, 399–407 (2000)Google Scholar