The Choice of Serious Games and Gamification
When analyzing past and existing trends, gamification has unarguably invaded the mainstream media in a more pervasive way than serious games. In the literature, there has been a wide range of meanings for gamification, some detractors abhorring the term to others stating it encompasses everything to do with games and entertainment. This inconsistent nomenclature and undefined scope has led to the erroneous belief that gamification and serious games are synonymous. The aim of this paper is to present the distinct differences supported by case study of the use of both gamification and serious games within the same project aimed at social innovation within the neighbourhoods.
KeywordsSerious Games Gamification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gee, J.P.: What Video Games Have to Teach Us About Learning and Literacy, 2nd edn. Revised and Updated Edition. Palgrave Macmillan (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Djaouti, D., Alvarez, J., Jessel, J., Rampnoux, O.: Origins of Serious Games. In: Ma, M., Oikonomou, A., Jain, L. (eds.) Serious Games and Edutainment Applications. Springer (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Rivera, J.: Gartner’s, Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies Maps Out Evolving Relationship Between Humans and Machines. Gartner Press Release (2013), http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2575515 (retrieved May 30, 2014)
- 4.Zichermann, G., Cunningham, C.: Gamification by Design. O’Reilly Media Inc., CA (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, A.J.: Gamification 101: Designing the player journey. Google Tech Talk (2011), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0H3ASbnZmc&feature=youtu.be (retrieved June 30, 2013)
- 7.Kapp, K.M.: The gamification of learning and instruction: game-based methods and strategies for training and education. Pfeiffer, San Francisco (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Deterding, S., Dixon, D., Khaled, R., Nacke, L.: From Game Design Elements to Gamefulness: Defining “Gamification”. In: MindTrek 2011, Tampere (September 2011)Google Scholar
- 9.United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division: World Urbanization Prospects, the 2011 Revision: Highlights, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Francisco, A., Luis, F., Gonzalez, J., Isla, J.: Analysis and Application of Gamification. Paper presented at the Interaccion 2012, Spain (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Schonfeld, E.: SCVNGR’s Secret Game Mechanics Playdeck (August 2010), http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/25/scvngr-game-mechanics/