Bitcoin Is Volatile! Isn’t that Right?
In this study, we substantiate with financial data collection and analysis the hypothesis regarding the volatility of Bitcoin exchange rate against common currencies. Financial data were collected from July 2010 until April 2014. The raw annualised volatility of Bitcoin is compared to conventional and major exchange rates. The first set of results indicate a high value of annualised volatility for the Bitcoin exchange rate. When the volume of Bitcoin transactions is considered, the volatility of the Bitcoin exchange rate stabilizes significantly.
KeywordsBitcoin Exchange rate Volume Volatility
- 2.Briere, M., Oosterlinck, K., Szafarz, A.: Virtual Currency, Tangible Return: Portfolio Diversification with Bitcoins, SSRN working paper series (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Buchholz, M., Delaney, J., Warren, J., Parker, J.: Bits and Bets, Information, Price Volatility, and Demand for BitCoin. Economics 312 (2012). http://www.bitcointrading.com/pdf/bitsandbets.pdf
- 4.European Central Bank (ECB): Virtual Currency Schemes (2012). www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf
- 5.Grinberg, R.: Bitcoin: an innovative alternative digital currency. Hastings Sci. Technol. Law J. 4, 159–208 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Harper, J.: What is the Value of Bitcoin? Cato Institute working paper (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Kristoufek, L.: BitCoin meets Google trends and Wikipedia: quantifying the relationship between phenomena of the Internet era. Sci. Rep. 3(3415), 1–7 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Kroll, J., Davey, I., Felten, E.: The economics of Bitcoin mining or Bitcoin in the presence of adversaries. In: Proceedings of WEIS 2013 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Nakamoto, S.: Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System, bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
- 10.van Wijk, D.: What can be expected from the BitCoin? Working Paper No. 345986, Erasmus Rotterdam Universiteit (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Wallace, B.: The Rise and Fall of Bitcoin. Wired (2011). http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/mf_bitcoin. Accessed 23 November 2011
- 12.Yermack, D.: Is Bitcoin a Real Currency? New York University working paper (2014)Google Scholar