MEMS-based microsensors using piezoelectric thin films as sensors and actuators
Pb(Zr,Ti)O3 (PZT) thin films are attractive for the application to MEMS-based microsensors. PZT thin films can act as sensors and actuators through direct and indirect piezoelectric effect. Moreover, it is possible to integrate the piezoelectric thin films for sensor and actuator. The present study describes MEMS-based electrostatic field sensors using PZT thin films as displacement sensors and vibration actuators. The self-sensitive piezoelectric microcantilevers have Pb(Zr,Ti)O3 (PZT) thin films for sensor and actuator. The MEMS-EFS were fabricated through sol-gel deposition of PZT thin films and MEMS microfabrication process. An output voltage of the PZT thin films for sensor was found to be proportional to the displacement of the microcantilevers. Self-excited vibration of the microcantilevers has been achieved by amplifying and forwarding the output voltage of the PZT thin films for sensor with a band-pass filter circuit. The developed MEMS-EFS can evaluate an electrotatic field of −3 to 3 kV with good linearity.
Keywordspiezoelectric PZT MEMS electrostatic field sensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research is granted by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) through the “Funding Program for World-Leading Innovative R&D on Science and Technology (FIRST Program),” initiated by the Council for Science and Technology Policy (CSTP).
- 1.Bahreyni B, Wijeweera G, Shafai C, and Rajapakse A (2008) J Microelectromech Syst 17: 31-36Google Scholar
- 2.Peng C, Yang P, Zhang H, Guo X, and Xia S (2010) Proc of IEEE sensors 2010 conference: 1183-1186Google Scholar
- 3.Kobayashi T, Tsaur J, and Maeda R (2008) Jpn J Appl Phys 47: 7533-7536Google Scholar
- 4.Yabuno H, Kaneko H, Kuroda M, and Kobayashi T (2008) Nonlinear Dynamics 54: 137-149Google Scholar
- 5.Kobayashi T, Maeda R, and Itoh T (2008) J Micromech Microeng 18: 035025Google Scholar
- 6.Kobayashi T, Maeda R, and Itoh T (2008) J Micromech Microeng 18: 115007Google Scholar
- 7.Kobayashi T, Okada H, Masuda T, Maeda R, and Itoh T (2011) Smart Mater Struct 20: 065017Google Scholar
- 8.Kobayashi T, Ichiki M, Tsaur J, and Maeda R (2005) Thin Solid Films 489: 74-78Google Scholar