An Event Driven Model for Highly Scalable Clustering for Both on Premise and Cloud Based Systems
- 2.6k Downloads
Computer clustering has emerged as the paradigm of choice in distributed systems and cloud computing. Multicast based approaches are dominant in the computer clustering domain and many clustering systems are built on top of IP multicast based message passing systems. However, most cloud based systems not provide proper support for multicasting because of the dynamic nature of IP’s, which complicates the configuration and maintenance of such an approach on the cloud.This paper presents an event driven approach for computer clustering, that can effectively handle dynamic IP’s and other issues present in computer clustering and cloud environments. We discuss a clustering implementation based on this event driven approach for an Apache Axis2 cloud deployment. We then compare this event driven clustering implementation with an existing multicast based clustering implementation for a cloud deployed Apache Axis2. The comparisons reveal significantly higher performance in the event driven approach, in addition to solving some of the challenges present in cloud environments.
KeywordsEvent Driven Cloud Computing Scalable Clustering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tanenbaum, A.S.: Distributed Systems: Principles and Paradigms. Prentice Hall (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Jayasinghe, J., Azeez, M.A.: Apache Axis2 Web Services. Packt Publishing Ltd. (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Hunt, P., et al.: ZooKeeper: Wait-free Coordination for Internet-scale Systems. In: USENIX Annual Technical Conference, vol. 8 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Vliet, J.V., Paganelli, F.: Programming Amazon EC2. O’Reilly Media, Inc. (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Jaatun, M.G., Zhao, G., Rong, C. (eds.): Cloud Computing. LNCS, vol. 5931. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Azeez, M.A.: Autoscaling web services on amazon ec2. Diss. University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Luo, J., Eugster, P.T., Hubaux, J.P.: Route driven gossip: probabilistic reliable multicast in ad hoc networks. In: Twenty-Second Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications, INFOCOM 2003, vol. 3, pp. 2229–2239. IEEE Societies (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Bal, H.E., Kaashoek, M.F., Tanenbaum, A.S., Jansen, J.: Replication Techniques for Speeding up Parallel Applications on Distributed Systems, vol. 4, pp. 337–355 (1992)Google Scholar
- 13.Dollimore, J., Kindberg, T., Coulouris, G.: Coordination and Agreement in Distributed Systems: Concepts and Design, 4th edn., ch. 12. Pearson Education, Essex (2005)Google Scholar