Application of Neural Networks Solar Radiation Prediction for Hybrid Renewable Energy Systems
In this paper a Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) for solar radiation prediction is proposed for the enhancement of the Power Management Strategies (PMSs) of Hybrid Renewable Energy Systems (HYRES). The presented RNN can offer both daily and hourly prediction concerning solar irradiation forecasting. As a result, the proposed model can be used to predict the Photovoltaic Systems output of the HYRES and provide valuable feedback for PMSs of the understudy autonomous system. To do so a flexible network based design of the HYRES is used and, moreover, applied to a specific system located on Olvio, near Xanthi, Greece, as part of SYSTEMS SUNLIGHT S.A. facilities. As a result, the RNN after training with meteorological data of the aforementioned area is applied to the specific HYRES and successfully manages to enhance and optimize its PMS based on the provided solar radiation prediction.
KeywordsRecurrent Neural Network Solar Radiation Power Management Strategy Hybrid Renewable Energy System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ghanbarzadeh, A., Noghrehabadi, R., Assareh, E., Behrang, M.A.: Solar radiation forecasting using meteorological data. In: 7th IEEE International Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN 2009), UK, (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.AbdulAzeez, M.A.: Artificial Neural Network Estimation of Global Solar Radiation Using Meteorological Parameters in Gusau, Nigeria. Archives of Applied Science Research 3(2), 586–595 (2011)Google Scholar
- 19.Kohonen, T.: Self – Organization and Associative Memory. Springer (1989)Google Scholar
- 20.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation. Prentice Hall (1998)Google Scholar
- 21.Anderson, J.A., Rosenfield, E.: Neurocomputing: Foundations of Research. MIT Press (1989)Google Scholar
- 22.Giaouris, D., Papadopoulos, A.I., Ziogou, C., Ipsakis, D., Voutetakis, S., Papadopoulou, S., Seferlis, P., Stergiopoulos, F., Elmasides, C.: Performance investigation of a hybrid renewable power generation and storage system using systemic power management models. Energy 61, 621–635 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar