Output-Feedback Dynamic Control over Packet-Switching Networks
When trying to stabilise a dynamical system under the assumption that every communication among the sensors, the actuators and the controller is carried out via a shared communication channel, network-induced constraints come into play. Among such constraints, we address: variable transfer intervals, time varying, large communication delays; non-simultaneous access to the network. In this paper, we devise a method for using an output-feedback dynamic controller whose design is carried out without taking into account the presence of the network. The stability of the resulting nonlinear networked control system is assessed. In order to corroborate the validity of the presented approach, the results of three experiments are presented. Each experiment is carried out using an Ethernet network as the communication medium. One of the experiments involves a real plant, while the remaining have been carried out with simulated plants.
KeywordsControl over network Nonlinear control systems Output feedback
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union Seventh Framework Programme [FP7/2007-2013] under grant agreement n257462 HYCON2 Network of excellence.
- 2.Bemporad, A.: Predictive control of teleoperated constrained systems with unbounded communication delays. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Decision and Control, vol. 2, pp. 2133–2138. Tampa (1998) .Google Scholar
- 5.Nesic, D., Liberzon, D.: A unified framework for design and analysis of networked and quantized control systems. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control 54(4), 732–747 (2009).Google Scholar
- 6.Walsh, G. C., Ye, H., Bushnell, L.: Stability analysis of networked control systems. In: Proceedings of American Control Conference (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.Nesic, D., Teel, A.: Input-output stability properties of networked control systems. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control 49(10), 1650–1667 (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.Falasca, S., Belsito, C., Quagli, A., Bicchi, A.: A Modular and Layered Cosimulator for Networked Control Systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control (2010).Google Scholar
- 9.Fabbri, T., Fenucci, D., Falasca, S., Gamba, M., Bicchi, A.: Packet-based dynamic control of a furuta pendulum over ethernet. In: Proceedings of IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control (2013).Google Scholar
- 10.Astrom, K. J., Furuta, K.: Swinging up a pendulum by energy control. In: IFAC 13th World Congress, San Francisco, California, 1996. (1996).Google Scholar