Phonation and Articulation Analysis of Spanish Vowels for Automatic Detection of Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a chronic neurodegenerative disorder of the nervous central system and it can affect the communication skills of the patients. There is an interest in the research community to develop computer aided tools for the analysis of the speech of people with PD for detection and monitoring.
In this paper, three new acoustic measures for the simultaneous analysis of the phonation and articulation of patients with PD are presented. These new measures along with other classical articulation and perturbation features are objectively evaluated with a discriminant criterion. According to the results, the speech of people with PD can be detected with an accuracy of 81% when phonation and articulation features are combined.
KeywordsParkinson’s disease phonation articulation acoustics nonlinear dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.de Rijk, M., et al.: Prevalence of Parkinson’s Disease in Europe: A collaborative study of population-based cohorts. Neurology 54, 21–23 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Darley, F., Aronson, A., Brown, J.: Differential Diagnosis Patterns of Dysarthria. Motor Speech Disorders (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.Bocklet, T., Nöth, E., Stemmer, G., Ruzickova, H., Rusz, J.: Detection of Persons with Parkinson’s Disease by Acoustic, Vocal and Prosodic Analysis. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding (ASRU), pp. 478–483 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Bayestehtashk, A., Asgari, M., Shafran, I., Mcnames, J.: Fully Automated Assessment of the Severity of Parkinson’s Disease from Speech. Computer Speech & Language, 1–14 (to appear, 2014)Google Scholar
- 7.National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions: Parkinson’s Disease: National Clinical Guideline for Diagnosis and Management in Primary and Secondary Care. Royal College of Physicians, London (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Orozco-Arroyave, J., Arias-Londoño, J., Vargas-Bonilla, J., González-Rátiva, M., Nöth, E.: New Spanish Speech Corpus Database for the Analysis of People Suffering from Parkinson’s Disease. In: Proceedings of the 9th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, LREC (to appear, 2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Schölkopf, B., Smola, A.: Learning With Kernel. The MIT Press (2002)Google Scholar