Comparing Overlapping Properties of Real Bipartite Networks
Many real-world networks lend themselves to the use of graphs for analysing and modelling their structure. But such a simple representation has proven to miss some important and non trivial properties hidden in the bipartite structure of the networks. Recent papers have shown that overlapping properties seem to be present in bipartite networks and that it could explain better the properties observed in simple graphs. This work intends to investigate this question by studying two proposed metrics to account for overlapping structures in bipartite networks. The study, conducted on four dataset stemming from very different contexts (computer science, juridical science and social science), shows that the most popular metrics, the clustering coefficient, turns out to be less relevant that the recent redundancy coefficient to analyse intricate overlapping properties of real networks.
KeywordsComplex networks Bipartite graphs Social networks Overlapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahn, Y.-Y., Ahnert, S.E., Bagrow, J.P., Barabási, A.-L.: Flavor network and the principles of food pairing. Scientific Reports 1 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Mérindol, P., Donnet, B., Bonaventure, O., Pansiot, J.-J.: On the impact of layer-2 on node degree distribution. In: Proc. ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC) (November 2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Mérindol, P., Van den Schriek, V., Donnet, B., Bonaventure, O., Pansiot, J.-J.: Quantifying ASes multiconnectivity using multicast information. In: Proc. ACM/USENIX Internet Measurement Conference (IMC) (November 2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Mislove, A., Marcon, M., Gummadi, K.P., Druschel, P., Bhattacharjee, B.: Measurement and Analysis of Online Social Networks. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM/Usenix Internet Measurement Conference (IMC 2007), San Diego, CA (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Newman, M.E., Strogatz, S.H., Watts, D.J.: Random graphs with arbitrary degree distributions. Physics Reviews E, 64 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Prieur, C., Cardon, D., Beuscart, J.-S., Pissard, N., Pons, P.: The stength of weak cooperation: A case study on flickr. arXiv preprint arXiv:0802.2317 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Tarissan, F., Nollez-Goldbach, R.: The network of the international criminal court decisions as a complex system. In: Sanayei, A., Zelinka, I., Rossler, O.E. (eds.) ISCS 2013: Interdisciplinary Symposium on Complex Systems. Emergence, Complexity and Computation, vol. 8, pp. 225–264. Springer (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Tumminello, M., Miccichè, S., Lillo, F., Piilo, J., Mantegna, R.N.: Statistically validated networks in bipartite complex systems. PloS One 6(3), e17994 (2011)Google Scholar