Desertification Transition in Semi-arid Ecosystems and Directed Percolation
Regime shifts in ecosystems caused by climatic or anthropogenic factors can happen on a relatively short timescale with relevant economic and social effects, a consideration which motivates the large interest in the literature to this topic. A special case of regime shift is given by desertification transitions in semi-arid ecosystems. One desertification model, recently proposed, seems particularly effective in describing several ecological landscapes, taking into account different ecological mechanisms. This model simulates an ecosystem undergoing a desertification transition in term of a stochastic cellular automaton (SCA) subjected to a damage spreading (DS) transition. On the other hand, it is well known that many DS transitions belong to the directed percolation (DP) universality class under certain rather general conditions. Here we investigate the universality class of the SCA model and we identify the region of parameters space inside which it belongs to the DP class.
KeywordsDesertification Percolation in phase transitions Critical transitions Complex biological systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reynolds, J.F., Stafford Smith, D.M., Lambin, E.F., Turner II, B.L., Mortimore, M., Batterbury, S.P.J., Downing, T.E., Dowlatabadi, H., Fernández, R.J., Herrick, J.E., Huber-Sannwald, E., Jiang, H., Leemans, R., Lynam, T., Maestre, F.T., Ayarza, M., Walker, B.: Global desertification: building a science for dryland development. Science 316, 847–851 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Asner, G.P., Knapp, D.E., Balaji, A., Páez-Acosta, G.: Automated mapping of tropical deforestation and forest degration: CLASlite. J. of Appl. Remote Sensing 3, 033543-1–13 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Kéfi, S., Guttal, V., Brock, W.A., Carpenter, S.R., Ellison, A.M., Livina, V.N., Seekell, D.A., Scheffer, M., van Nes, E.H., Dakos, V.: Early warnings signals of ecological transitions: methods for spatial patterns. PLoS One 9, e41010 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Shnerb, N.M., Sarah, P., Lavee, H., Solomon, S.: Reactive glass and vegetation patterns. Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 038101–1–4 (2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Corrado, R., Cherubini, A.M., Pennetta, C.: Early warning signals of desertification transition in semi – arid ecosystems (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 19.Ilachinski, A.: Cellular Automata, a Discrete Universe. World Scientific, Singapore (2002)Google Scholar
- 25.Corrado, R., Cherubini, A.M., Pennetta, C.: Critical Desertification Transition in Semi-Arid Ecosystems: The Role of Local Facilitation and Colonization Rate (submitted for publication)Google Scholar