The Dynamics of Contractual Design: Determinants of Contract Duration in Franchising Networks
This paper deals with the contractual design in franchising networks. We investigate the determinants and the evolution of contracts duration on the basis of a multidisciplinary approach using law, management and economics. Taking into account the traditional explanation of franchise contracts duration in terms of specific investments, this paper focuses on the dynamics of contractual design. The empirical analysis is based on franchise French data, coupled with financial data. We use descriptive statistics and econometrics. A dynamic panel data model for contract length is estimated. Our results highlight specific dynamics and adjustment costs in the determination of contracts duration.
KeywordsAdjustment Cost Specific Investment Target Duration Contract Duration Transaction Cost Theory
- Affuso L, Newbery D (2001) Investment, reprocurement and franchise contract length in the British railway industry. Department of Applied Economics, University of Cambridge MimeoGoogle Scholar
- Berlioz G (1973) Le contrat d’adhésion. Librairie Générale de Droit et de Jurisprudence (L.G.D.J.), Paris
- Boulay J, Chanut O (2010) Les réseaux de franchise. Editions La découverte, Collection Repères, ParisGoogle Scholar
- FFF (2013) Toute la Franchise, Edition Fédération Française de la FranchiseGoogle Scholar
- Frazer L, Weaven S, Wright O (2008) Franchising Australia, survey sponsored by franchise council of Australia, Griffith University (Asia-pacific Centre for Franchising Excellence). www.franchise.org.au/files/4b8c805886786.pdf.
- Gorovaia N (2013) Determinants of contract duration in franchising Combining transaction cost, resource-based and relational governance perspectives. International Conference Economics and Management of Networks (EMNet), Agadir, Morocco, NovemberGoogle Scholar
- Joskow P (1985) Vertical integration and long-term contracts: the case of coal-burning electric generating plants. J Law Econ Organ 1(1):33–80Google Scholar
- Joskow P (1987) Contract duration and relationship-specific investments: empirical evidence from coal markets. Am Econ Rev 77(1):168–185Google Scholar
- Tirole J (1988) The theory of industrial organization. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Yvrande-Billon A (2003) Les déterminants du choix de la durée des contrats dans la nouvelle structure ferroviaire britannique. Les Cahiers Scientifiques du Transport 43:147–163Google Scholar