Mineral Oil in Skin Care: Safety Profile
- 2k Downloads
Mineral oil in skin care is used as an emollient enhancing moisture retention in the skin. Toxicological studies in animals and tolerance studies in humans demonstrate the safety profile of pharmaceutical grade mineral oil.
KeywordsMineral oil Safety of use
The author would like to thank Vincent R. Walczac of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies, Inc. for providing the data in file for Table 19.2, Dr. Anneke Andriessen for editorial assistance and Drs. Beate Gerstbrein and Apostolos Pappas for critically reviewing the manuscript.
- European Union/European Council. Directive 2003/15/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 February 2003 amending Council Directive 76/768/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to cosmetic products. Off J Eur Union. 2003;66:26–35.Google Scholar
- Field T, Schanberg S, Davalos M, Malphurs J. Massage with oil has more positive effects on normal infants. Pre Perinat Psychol J. 1996;11:75–80.Google Scholar
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). Agents classified by the IARC Monographs, Vol. 1–100. 2011. http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/ClassificationsGroupOrder.pdf.Accessed on September 25, 2014.
- Johnson & Johnson Consumer Companies INC.Human test reports on the use of products with high content of mineral oil—Internal unpublished reports over the years 1993–2008.Google Scholar
- Jolly ER, Sloughfy CA. Clinical evaluation of baby oil. J Soc Cosmet Chem. 1975;26:227–34.Google Scholar
- Powers D, Fox C. The effect of cosmetic emulsions on the stratum corneum. J Soc Cosmet Chem. 1959;10:109–16.Google Scholar
- Rieger MM, Deem DE. Skin moisturizers. II. The effects of cosmetic ingredients on human stratum corneum. J Soc Cosmet Chem. 1974;25:253–62.Google Scholar
- Wiechers JW, Taelman MC, Dederen JC, Barlow T. Relative performance testing of formulations: emulsifiers. In “Skin Barrier: Chemistry of Delivery Systems”, edited by JW Wiechers, Allured Publishing Corporation, Carol Stream, IL, USA. 2008:235–248.Google Scholar