Phase Control of Chaotic Maps
The phase control is a well-known control method that has been typically applied to periodically driven dynamical systems. Its application allows controlling them through the phase difference between the forcing term and another harmonic perturbation. In the current chapter, we focus on the application of this control method to maps. In particular, we analyze two paradigmatic maps: the bouncing ball map and the Hénon map. As a result, we observe that the application of the phase control can suppress or enhance the chaotic behavior on them. We also analyze the crisis induced intermittency in the bouncing ball map when the phase of the control signal is varied. Finally, the scaling behavior of the average Lyapunov exponents near the phase induced crisis is studied. Future applications of the phase control method are also discussed.
This work was supported by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation under Project No. FIS2013-40653-P.
- 5.Chitra, R.N., Kuriakose, V.C.: Phase effects on synchronization by dynamical relaying in delay-coupled systems. Chaos 18, Art. 023129 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Seoane, J.M., Zambrano, S., Euzzor, S., Meucci, R., Arecchi, F.T., Sanjuán, M.A.F.: Avoiding escapes in open dynamical systems using phase control. Phys. Rev. E 78, Art. 016205 (2008)Google Scholar
- 24.Ulam, S.M.: On some statistical properties of dynamical systems. In: Cam, L.M.L., Neyman, J., Scott, E. (eds.) Proceedings of the Fourth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability (University of California, Berkeley, 20 June–30 July 1960), vol. 3, pp. 315–320. University of California Press, Berkeley (1961)Google Scholar
- 25.Zambrano, S., Brugioni, S., Allaria, E., Leyva, I., Meucci, R., Sanjuán, M.A.F., Arecchi, F.T.: Numerical and experimental exploration of phase control of chaos. Chaos 16, Art. 013111 (2006)Google Scholar
- 27.Zambrano, S., Seoane, J.M., Mariño, I.P., Sanjuán, M.A.F., Meucci, R.: Phase Control in Nonlinear Systems, Chap. 6, pp. 147–188. World Scientific, Singapore (2010)Google Scholar