Personalized Course Generation Based on Layered Recommendation Systems
Personalized learning aims at providing services that fit the needs, goals, capabilities and interests of the learners. Recommender systems have recently begun to investigate into helping teachers to improve e-learning. In this paper, we propose a personalized course generation system based on a layered recommender system. The aim of this system is to recommend personalized leaning content for online learners based on the personal characteristics of learners, such as the prior knowledge level, learning abilities and learning goals. The recommender algorithm generates a knowledge domain and learning objects in three layers. The generated courses consider both the teaching plan of teachers and the learners’ personal characteristics of the knowledge.
Keywordspersonalized learning course generation recommender system layered recommendation system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dwivedi, P., Bharadwaj, K.K.: E-Learning Recommender System for Learners in Online Social Networks through Association Retrieval. In: Proceedings of the CUBE International Information Technology Conference, CUBE 2012, pp. 676–681 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Fertalj, K., Hoic-Bozic, N., Jerkovic, H.: The integration of learning object repositories and learning management systems. Computer Science and Information Systems, ComSIS 7(3) (2010), doi:10.2298/CSIS081127001F.Google Scholar
- 5.Ghauth, K.I., Abdullah, N.A.: Learning material recommendation using good learners’ ratings and content-based filtering. Educational Research and Development (2010), doi:10.1007/s11423-010-9155-4Google Scholar
- 6.Hammouda, K., Kamel, M.: Data Mining in e-Learning, pp. 1–28. Springer (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Koper, E.J.R.: Increasing learner retention in a simulated learning network using indirect social interaction. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 8(2), 18–27 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Kristofic, A.: Recommender system for adaptive hypermedia Applications. In: Proceeding of Informatics and Information Technology Student Research Conference, Bratislava, pp. 229–234 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Tan, X., Ullrich, C., Wang, Y., Shen, R.: The Design and Application of an Automatic Course Generation System for Large-Scale Education. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, pp. 607–609 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Zaïane, O.R.: Building a recommender agent for e-learning systems. In: The International Conference on Computers in Education, ICCE 2002, pp. 55–59 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhuhadar, L.: Multi-model ontology–based hybrid recommender system in e-learning domain. In: ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology-Workshops, pp. 91–95 (2009)Google Scholar