Prediction of Students’ Grades Based on Free-Style Comments Data
In this paper we propose a new approach based on text mining technique to predict student’s performance using LSA (latent semantic analysis) and K-means clustering method. The present study uses free style comments written by students after each lesson. Since the potentials of these comments can reflect students’ learning attitudes, understanding and difficulties to the lessons, they enable teachers to grasp the tendencies of students’ learning activities.To improve this basic approach, overlap method and similarity measuring technique are proposed. We conducted experiments to validate our proposed methods. The experimental results illustrated that prediction accuracy was 73.6% after applying the overlap method and that was 78.5% by adding the similarity measuring.
KeywordsComments Data Overlap method Similarity measuring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Goda, K., Hirokawa, S., Mine, T.: Correlation of grade prediction performance and validity of-self-evaluation comments. In: SIGITE 2013 Proceedings of the 14th Annual ACM SIGITE Conference on Information Technology Education, Florida, USA, pp. 35–42 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Mansur, M.O., Md. Sap, M.N.: Outlier detection technique in data mining: A research perspective. In: Proceedings of the Postgraduate Annual Research Seminar (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Nandeshwar, A., Chaudhari, S.: Enrollment prediction models using data mining. information reuse and integration, http://nandeshwar.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/DMWVU_Project.pdf (retrieved January 10, 2009)
- 12.Pellegrino, W., Chudowsky, N., Glaser, R.: Knowing What Students Know: The Science and Design of Educational Assessment. National Academy Press, Washington (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Shepard, L.A.: The Role of Classroom Assessment in Teaching and Learning (CSE Technical Report 517). Center for the Study of Evaluation, Los Angeles CA (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Tane, J., Schmitz, C., Stumme, G.: Semantic resource management for the web: An e-learning application. In: Proceedings of the WWW Conference, New York, USA, pp. 1–10 (2004)Google Scholar