Contextual Gamification of Social Interaction – Towards Increasing Motivation in Social E-learning
In current e-learning studies, one of the main challenges is to keep learners motivated in performing desirable learning behaviours and achieving learning goals. Towards tackling this challenge, social e-learning contributes favourably, but it requires solutions that can reduce side effects, such as abusing social interaction tools for ‘chitchat’, and further enhance learner motivation. In this paper, we propose a set of contextual gamificationstrategies, which apply flow and self-determination theory for increasing intrinsic motivation in social e-learning environments. This paper also presents a social e-learning environment that applies these strategies, followed by a user case study, which indicates increased learners’ perceived intrinsic motivation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Csikszentmihalyi, M.: Beyond boredom and anxiety. Jossey-Bass (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Groh, F.: Gamification: State of the art definition and utilization. In: Proceedings of the 4th Seminar on Research Trends in Media Informatics, pp. 39–46 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Kapp, K.M.: The gamification of learning and instruction: game-based methods and strategies for training and education. John Wiley & Sons (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Neil, R., et al.: Psychology: The Sci. of Behavior. Pearson Education, Incorporated (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Ryan, R.M., Deci, E.L.: Overview of self-determination theory: An organismic dialectical perspective. In: Ryan, R.M., Deci, E.L. (eds.) Handbook of Self-Determination Research, pp. 3–33. University of Rochester Press, Rochester (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Shi, L., et al.: Social e-learning in topolor: a case study. In: Proceedings of the 7th IADIS Conference e-Learning 2013, pp. 57–64. IADIS Press, Prague (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Shi, L., Gkotsis, G., Stepanyan, K., Al Qudah, D., Cristea, A.I.: Social Personalized Adaptive E-Learning Environment: Topolor - Implementation and Evaluation. In: Lane, H.C., Yacef, K., Mostow, J., Pavlik, P. (eds.) AIED 2013. LNCS, vol. 7926, pp. 708–711. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Shi, L., et al.: To build light gamification upon social interactions: requirement analysis for the next version of Topolor. In: Proceedings of the 6th York Doctoral Symposium on Computer Science and Electronics (2013)Google Scholar
- 19.Street, H.D.: Factors influencing a learner’s decision to drop-out or persist in higher education distance learning. Online J. Distance Learn. Adm. 13(4) (2010)Google Scholar