Genetic and Backtracking Search Optimization Algorithms Applied to Localization Problems
- 2.6k Downloads
The localization problem arises from the need of the elements of a swarm of robots, or of a Wireless Sensor Network (WSN), to determine its position without the use of external references, such as the Global Positioning System (GPS), for example. In this problem, the location is based on calculations that use distance measurements to anchor nodes, that have known positions. In the search for efficient algorithms to calculate the location, some algorithms inspired by nature, such as Genetic Algorithm (GA) and Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm(PSO), have been used. Accordingly, in order to obtain better solutions to the localization problem, this paper presents the results obtained with the Backtracking Search Optimization Algorithm (BSA) and compares them with those obtained with the GA.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Global Position System Particle Swarm Optimization Wireless Sensor Network Global Position System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sun, W., Su, X.: Wireless sensor network node localization based on genetic algorithm. In: 3rd Int. Conf. on Communication Software and Networks, pp. 316–319. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Ekberg, P.: Swarm-Intelligent Localization. Thesis, Uppsala Universitet, Uppsala, Sweden (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Langendoen, K., Reijers, N.: Distributed Localization Algorithms. In: Zurawski, R. (ed.) Embedded Systems Handbook, pp. 36.1–36.23. CRC Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in natural and artificial systems: An introductory analysis with applications to biology, control, and artificial intelligence. MIT Press, Cambridge (1975)Google Scholar
- 6.Houck, C.R., Joines, J., Kay, M.: A genetic algorithm for function optimization: A Matlab implementation. ACM Transactions on Mathmatical Software (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Civicioglu, P.: Backtracking Search Optimization Algorithm (BSA) For Numerical Optimization Problems - BSA code for Matlab2013a, http://www.pinarcivicioglu.com/bsa.html (accessed December 11, 2013)
- 8.Huanxiang, J., Yong, W., Xiaoling, T.: Localization Algorithm for Mobile Anchor Node Based on Genetic Algorithm in Wireless Sensor Network. In: Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computing and Integrated Systems, pp. 40–44. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Ekberg, P., Ngai, E.C.: A Distributed Swarm-Intelligent Localization for Sensor Networks with Mobile Nodes. In: 7th Int. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, pp. 83–88 (2011)Google Scholar