Analyzing and Synthesizing Genomic Logic Functions
Deciphering the developmental program of an embryo is a fundamental question in biology. Landmark papers [9,10] have recently shown how computational models of gene regulatory networks provide system-level causal understanding of the developmental processes of the sea urchin, and enable powerful predictive capabilities. A crucial aspect of the work is empirically deriving plausible models that explain all the known experimental data, a task that becomes infeasible in practice due to the inherent complexity of the biological systems. We present a generic Satisfiability Modulo Theories based approach to analyze and synthesize data constrained models. We apply our approach to the sea urchin embryo, and successfully improve the state-of-the-art by synthesizing, for the first time, models that explain all the experimental observations in . A strength of the proposed approach is the combination of accurate synthesis procedures for deriving biologically plausible models with the ability to prove inconsistency results, showing that for a given set of experiments and possible class of models no solution exists, and thus enabling practical refutation of biological models.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Batt, G., Yordanov, B., Weiss, R., Belta, C.: Robustness analysis and tuning of synthetic gene networks. Bioinformatics 23(18) (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Chaudhuri, S., Clochard, M., Solar-Lezama, A.: Bridging Boolean and quantitative synthesis using smoothed proof search. In: POPL. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Koksal, A., Pu, Y., Srivastava, S., Bodik, R., Fisher, J., Piterman, N.: Synthesis of biological models from mutation experimentss. In: SIGPLAN-SIGACT Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Peter, I.S., Davidson, E.H.: A gene regulatory network controlling the embryonic specification of endoderm. Nature 474(7353) (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Peter, I.S., Faure, E., Davidson, E.H.: Predictive computation of genomic logic processing functions in embryonic development. Proc. of the National Academy of Sciences 109(41) (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Rabe, M.N., Wintersteiger, C.M., Kugler, H., Yordanov, B., Hamadi, Y.: Symbolic approximation of the bounded reachability probability in markov chains. In: QEST. LNCS, Springer (to appear, 2014)Google Scholar
- 12.Solar-Lezama, A., Rabbah, R.M., Bodík, R., Ebcioglu, K.: Programming by sketching for bit-streaming programs. In: PLDI. ACM (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Srivastava, S., Gulwani, S., Foster, J.S.: From program verification to program synthesis. In: POPL. ACM (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Yordanov, B., Wintersteiger, C.M., Hamadi, Y., Kugler, H.: Z34Bio: An SMT-based framework for analyzing biological computation. In: SMT (2013)Google Scholar