PAVE: A Web Application to Identify and Correct Accessibility Problems in PDF Documents
This paper describes the implementation of the PDF Accessibility Validation Engine (PAVE). PAVE is a web based application for identifying and correcting accessibility issues in PDF documents. The accessibility analysis is based on the PDF/UA standard.
We previously introduced the idea of such a system in . The entire application runs on a web server, allowing users to both analyze a PDF document in regard to accessibility issues and then to directly fix these issues within the browser, thus relieving them from installing software. A simple and intuitive user interface allows both experts as well as users with only little previous knowledge of PDF accessibility to work with PAVE.
KeywordsAccessibility Document Accessibility Visual Impairment Tagged PDF PDF/UA Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Screen Readers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Adobe Systems Incorporated. Portable Document Format (PDF 1.7). ISO 32000 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Adobe Systems Incorporated. PDF Reference, 3rd edn., PDF 1.4 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Use of ISO 32000-1 (PDF/UA-1). ISO 14289-1 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.World Wide Web Consortium. Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/ (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 6.Adobe Systems Incorporated. Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro.html (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 7.Microsoft Corporation. Microsoft Word, http://office.microsoft.com/word/ (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 8.NetCentric Technologies. CommonLook PDF, http://www.commonlook.com/CommonLook-PDF (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 9.Access for all Foundation. PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC2), http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac.html (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 10.PDF Association. Matterhorn Protocol 1.0, http://www.pdfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/MatterhornProtocol_1-0.pdf (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)
- 11.eGovMon project. Tingtun PDF Checker, http://accessibility.tingtun.no/en/pdfcheck/ (Online; accessed January 29, 2014)