Financial Therapy: Establishing an Emerging Field
This chapter outlines the origins of financial therapy—an emerging field interested in the integration of cognitive, emotional, behavioral, relational, and economic aspects with financial health. This chapter differentiates among financial therapy, financial coaching, and financial planning; explores ethical considerations; and discusses the importance of theory and evidence-based practices in the development of the field of financial therapy. The chapter concludes with a rationale of the need for financial therapy, ethical considerations for the field, and future directions.
KeywordsMental Health Professional Mental Health Disorder Financial Planning Gambling Disorder Financial Advisor
- AFCPE. (2014). About the AFC Curriculum. http://www.afcpe.org/certification/curriculum/accredited-financial-counselor/. Accessed: 3. Feb 2014.
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy. (2004). Marriage and family therapy core competencies. https://www.aamft.org/imis15/Documents/MFT_Core_Competencie.pdf. Accessed: 16. Feb 2014.
- American Psychological Association. (2009). Guidelines and principles for accreditation of programs in professional psychology. http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/about/policies/guiding-principles.pdf. Accessed: 16. Feb 2014.
- APA (American Psychological Association). (2014). Stress in America™ survey. https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2014/02/teen-stress.aspx. Accessed 25 July 2014.
- Archuleta, K. L., & Grable, J. E. (2011). The future of financial planning and counseling: An introduction to financial therapy. In J. E. Grable, K. L. Archuleta, & R. R. Nazarinia (Eds.), Financial planning and counseling scales (pp. 33–59). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Archuleta, K. L., Burr, E., Dale, A., Canale, A., Danford, D., Rasure, E., & Horwitz, E. (2012). What is financial therapy? Discovering the mechanisms and aspects of an emerging field. Journal of Financial Therapy, 3(2), 57–78.Google Scholar
- CFP Board. (2014). Become a CFP® professional. http://www.cfp.net/become-a-cfp-professional/cfp-certification-requirements/education-requirement/principle-topics#top. Accessed: 3. Feb 2014.
- Council on Social Work Education. (n.d.). Educational policy and accreditation standards. http://www.cswe.org/File.aspx?id=41861?id=41861. Accessed: 16. Feb 2014
- Dictionary.com. (2014). Therapy. http://www.dictionary.reference.com/browse/Therapy?s=t.
- Financial Therapy Association. (2014). About the financial therapy association. http://www.financialtherapyassociation.org/About_the_FTA.html. Accessed: 3. Feb 2014.
- JumpStart. (2014). State financial education requirements. http://www.jumpstart.org/state-financial-education-requirements.html. Accessed: 16. Feb 2014.
- Klontz, B., Kahler, R., & Klontz, T. (2008). Facilitating financial health: Tools for financial planners, coaches, and therapists. Cincinnati: The National Underwriter Company.Google Scholar
- McGill, S., Grable, J., & Britt, S. (2010). The financial therapy association: A brief history. Journal of Financial Therapy, 1(1), 1–6.Google Scholar
- The Kinder Institute of Life Planning. (2014). What is life planning? https://www.kinderinstitute.com/consumer.html. Accessed: 3. Feb 2014.