Application of FUZZY-AHP for Industrial Cluster Identification
Identifying industrial cluster has become a key strategic decision, during recent years. However, the nature of these decisions is usually uncertain and vague. From the existing methods, there is no single method which handles the uncertainty. This paper proposes a Fuzzy-AHP based industrial cluster identification model to solve the pitfalls with the exiting cluster identification methods. As a result, quantitative and qualitative factors including geographical proximity, sectorial concentration, market potential, support services, resource potential and potential entrepreneurs are found to be critical factors in cluster identification. In this paper, linguistic values are used to assess the ratings and weights of the factors. Then, AHP model based on fuzzy-sets theory will be proposed in dealing with the cluster selection problems. Finally, Ethiopian Tanning industries were taken to prove and validate the procedure of the proposed method. A sensitivity analysis is also performed to justify the results.
KeywordsFuzzy-AHP Industrial cluster Cluster identification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andersen, T., Bjerre, M., Emily, W.H.: The cluster benchmarking project: pilot project report-benchmarking clusters in the knowledge based economy. Nordic Innovation center, For A (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bergman, E.M., Feser, E.J.: Industrial and regional clusters: concepts and comparative applications. WVU Regional Research Institute, Virginia (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Hofe, R.V., Bhatta, S.D.: Method for identifying and domestic industrial clusters using interregional commodity trade data. The Industrial Geographer 4, 1–27 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Netsanet, J., Birhanu, B., Daniel, K., Abraham, A.: AHP-Based Micro and Small Enterprises’ Cluster Identification. In: Fifth International Conference on Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Shamsuzzaman, M., Ullah, A.M.M.S., Bohez, L.J.: Applying linguistic criteria in FMS selection: fuzzy-set-AHP approach 3, 247–254 (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Stejskal, J.: Comparison of often applied methods for industrial cluster identification. In: Development, Energy, Environment, Economics, pp. 282–286 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Tetsushi, S., Keijiro, O.: Strategy for cluster-based industrial development in developing countries. Foundation for advanced studies on international development and national graduate institute for policy studies (2006)Google Scholar
- 16.USAID: Agricultural Growth Project -Livestock Market Development Value Chain Analysis for Ethiopia: Meat and Live Animals, Hides, Skins and Leather, Dairy, AGP-Livestock Market Development Project (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Yoo, K.Y.: Method for identifying industry clusters: assessment of the state of the art. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (2003)Google Scholar