Evolutionary Techniques for Image Segmentation
Evolutionary algorithms are used in many engineering applications for optimization of problems that are often difficult to solve using conventional methods. One such problem is image segmentation. This task is used for object (contour) extraction from images to create sensible representation of the image. There are many image segmentation and optimization methods. This work is focused on selected evolutionary optimization methods. Namely, particle swarm optimization, genetic algorithm, and differential evolution. Our image segmentation method is inspired in algorithm known as k-means. The optimization function from k-means algorithm is replaced by evolutionary technique. We compare original k-means algorithm with evolutionary approaches and we show that our evolutionary approaches easily outperform the classical approach.
Keywordsparticle swarm optimization genetic algorithm differential evolution k-means image segmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, MHS 1995, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 3rd edn. Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.MacQueen, J.B.: Some methods for classification and analysis of multivariate observations. In: Cam, L.M.L., Neyman, J. (eds.) Proc. of the Fifth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297. University of California Press (1967)Google Scholar
- 6.Martin, D., Fowlkes, C., Tal, D., Malik, J.: A database of human segmented natural images and its application to evaluating segmentation algorithms and measuring ecological statistics. In: Proc. 8th Int’l Conf. Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 416–423 (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Mortensen, E.N., Barrett, W.A.: Intelligent scissors for image composition. In: Computer Graphics, SIGGRAPH Proceedings, pp. 191–198 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.: A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: The 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Proceedings, IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence 1998, pp. 69–73 (May 1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Storn, R., Price, K.: Differential evolution - a simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces (1995)Google Scholar