Clinical presentation and diagnostics
Although most patients with epithelial ovarian cancer will present with International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) stage III or IV disease, occasionally, a woman with a pelvic mass in the absence of ascites, carcinomatosis, and pleural effusion or other clinical and radiologic findings of advanced disease will be ultimately diagnosed with an early stage ovarian carcinoma (Figure 3.1).
KeywordsOvarian Cancer Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Ovarian Tumor Gynecologic Oncologist Pelvic Mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. ACOG Committee Opinion: Number 280, December 2002. The role of the generalist obstetrician-gynecologist in the early detection of ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol. 2002;100:1413-1416.Google Scholar
- 2.Zhu CS, Pinsky PF, Cramer DW, et al. A framework for evaluating biomarkers for early detection: validation of biomarker panels for ovarian cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2011;4:375-383.Google Scholar
- 3.Miller RW, Smith A, DeSimone COP, et al. Performance of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecolgists’ ovarian tumor referral guidelines with a multivariate index assay. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:1-9.Google Scholar
- 4.Ueland FR, Desimone CP, Seamon LG, et al. Effectiveness of a multivariate index assayin the preoperative assessment of ovarian tumors. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117:1289-1297.Google Scholar
- 5.Bristow RE, Smith A, Zhang Z, et al. Ovarian malignancy risk stratification of the adnexal mass using a multivariate index assay. Gynecol Oncol. 2013;128:252-259.Google Scholar
- 6.Hellstrom I, Raycraft J, Hayden-Ledbetter M, et al. The HE4 (WFDC2) protein is a biomarker for ovarian carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3695-3700.Google Scholar
- 7.Moore RG, Brown AK, Miller C, et al. The use of multiple novel serum biomarkers for the detection of ovarian cancer in patients with a pelvic mass. Gynecol Oncol. 2008;108;402-408.Google Scholar
- 8.Moore RG, McMeekin DC, Brown AK, et al. A novel multiple marker bioassay utilizing HE4 and CA125 for the prediction of ovarian cancer in patients with a pelvic mass. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;112:40-46.Google Scholar
- 9.Moore RG, Miller C, Disilvestro P, et al. Evaluation of the diagnostic accuracy of the risk of ovarian malignancy algorithm in women with a pelvic mass. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118:280‑288.Google Scholar
- 10.Coleman RL, Monk BJ, Sood AK, Herzog TJ. Latest research and treatment of advanced-stage epithelial ovarian cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol. 2013;10:211-224.Google Scholar