Color Badger: A Novel Retinex-Based Local Tone Mapping Operator
In this paper a novel tone mapping operator (TMO) based on the Light Random Sprays Retinex (LRSR) algorithm is presented. TMOs convert high dynamic range (HDR) images to low dynamic range (LDR) images, which is often needed because of the display limitations of many devices. The proposed operator is a local operator, which retains the qualities of the LRSR and overcomes some of its weaknesses. The results of the execution speed and quality tests are presented and discussed and it is shown that on most of the test images the proposed operator is faster and in terms of quality as good as Durand’s TMO, one of the currently best TMOs. The C++ source code of the proposed operator is available at http://www.fer.unizg.hr/ipg/resources/color_constancy/.
KeywordsHDR LDR Light Random Sprays Retinex Retinex tone mapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.HDR imaging (2014), http://docs.opencv.org/master/modules/photo/doc/hdr_imaging.html
- 4.Drago, F., Myszkowski, K., Annen, T., Chiba, N.: Adaptive logarithmic mapping for displaying high contrast scenes. In: Computer Graphics Forum, vol. 22, pp. 419–426. Wiley Online Library (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Kuang, J., Yamaguchi, H., Johnson, G.M., Fairchild, M.D.: Testing HDR image rendering algorithms. In: Color and Imaging Conference, vol. 2004, pp. 315–320. Society for Imaging Science and Technology (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Land, E.H.: The retinex. American Scientist 52(2), 247–264 (1964)Google Scholar
- 12.Maxwell, S., Delaney, H.: Designing Experiments and Analyzing Data: A Model Comparison Perspective. No. s. 1 in Designing Experiments and Analyzing Data: A Model Comparison Perspective, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (2004), http://books.google.hr/books?id=gKZbD3lL88AC
- 14.NTUST Compute Graphics Group: HDR (2014), http://graphics.csie.ntust.edu.tw/pub/HDR/
- 18.Reinhard, E., Heidrich, W., Debevec, P., Pattanaik, S., Ward, G., Myszkowski, K.: High dynamic range imaging: Acquisition, display, and image-based lighting. Morgan Kaufmann (2010)Google Scholar