Packet Header Anomaly Detection Using Statistical Analysis
The disclosure of network packets to recurrent cyber intrusion has upraised the essential for modelling various statistical-based anomaly detection methods lately. Theoretically, the statistical-based anomaly detection method fascinates researcher’s attentiveness, but technologically, the fewer intrusion detection rates persist as vulnerable disputes. Thus, a Host-based Packet Header Anomaly Detection (HbPHAD) model that is proficient in pinpoint suspicious packet header behaviour based on statistical analysis is proposed in this paper. We perform scoring mechanism using Relative Percentage Ratio (RPR) in scheming normal scores, desegregate Linear Regression Analysis (LRA) to distinguish the degree of packets behaviour (i.e. fit to be suspicious or not suspicious) and Cohen’s-d (effect size) dimension to pre-define the finest threshold. HbPHAD is an effectual resolution for statistical-based anomaly detection method in pinpoint suspicious behaviour precisely. The experiment validate that HbPHAD is effectively in correctly detecting suspicious packet at above 90% as an intrusion detection rate for both ISCX 2012 and is capable to detect 40 attack types from DARPA 1999 benchmark dataset.
KeywordsPacket Header Anomaly Detection Statistical Analysis Linear Regression Analysis Cohen’s-d
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Lippmann, R.P., Haines, J.W., Fried, D.J., Korba, J., Das, K.: The, DARPA Off-Line Intrusion Detection Evaluation. MIT Lincoln Lab Technical Report (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Mahoney, M.V., Chan, P.K.: PHAD: Packet Header Anomaly Detection for Identify-ing Hostile Network Traffic. Technical report, Florida Tech., CS-2001-4 (April 2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Rehman, A., Saba, A.: Evaluation of artificial intelligent techniques to secure infor-mation in enterprises. Artificial Intelligence Review, 1–16 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Rebecca, B., Peter, M.: NIST Special Publication on Intrusion Detection Systems. Infidel, Inc., Scotts Valley, CA and National Institute of Standards and Technology (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Yingbing, Y.: A survey of anomaly intrusion detection techniques. Journal of Computer Science 28(1), 9–17 (2012)Google Scholar