A Bi-objective Harmony Search Approach for Deploying Cost-Effective Multi-hop Communications over Large-Area Wildfires
Global phenomena such as the climate warming and the consequently growing scales of wildfires motivate the need for computationally efficient tools and frameworks for assisting brigade commanders in their coordination and management duties. However, the current worldwide economical situation usually imposes severe budgetary constraints that ultimately impact on the inventory of available firefighting resources and support equipment. In this context this manuscript presents a novel meta-heuristically empowered scheme which determines the position and model of a number of wireless communication relays to be deployed over a large-scale wildfire area under a Pareto-optimal strategy: to balance between coverage and cost of the deployment. The system model also allows for multi-hop links among the brigades operating on the area. Specifically, Harmony Search heuristics are utilized to iteratively refine the position and models of the relays. Simulation results over synthetic scenarios are discussed, from which future research lines stem towards formulations of increased realism including the allocation of radio channels and orography-aware coverage areas.
KeywordsMultihop communications wildfire relay Harmony Search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ghose, T.: Climate Change May Be Worsening Western Wildfires. Livescience (2013), http://www.livescience.com/41877-western-wildfires-getting-worse.html (retrieved in December 2013)
- 3.McGhee, T.: 4,167 Colorado Wildfires caused Record Losses of $538 Million in 2012. The Denver Post (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Arizona State Forestry Division: Yarnell Hill Fire Serious Accident Investigation Report (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Pons i Grau, V.: La Explosión del Monte: El Trágico Suceso acaecido durante el Incendio Forestal de Guadalajara. Imprenta Romeu (2008) (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 6.Jendsch, W.: Das große Feuer, Jendsch Feuerwehrpresse (Fire Press, in German). Fachbeitrag (technical report) 2727/98 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Foro Ambiental de Castilla-La Mancha: Valoración de la Campaña 2013 de Incendios forestales en Castilla-La Mancha (2013) (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- 13.Bilbao, M.N., Gil-Lopez, S., Del Ser, J., Salcedo-Sanz, S., Sanchez-Ponte, M., Arana-Castro, A.: Novel hybrid heuristics for an extension of the dynamic relay deployment problem over disaster areas. TOP (2013) (in press)Google Scholar
- 16.Tettamanzi, A.G.B., Tomassini, M.: Soft Computing: Integrating Evolutionary, Neural, and Fuzzy Systems. Springer (2001)Google Scholar