A Study on Private SNS (Social Networking Service) Usage of Seniors
As online SNS market has rapidly grown in recent years, the user preference has shifted from open SNS to private SNS which provides closer, more private communication space. Also, the age group of users has expanded to those in their 50s and above, forming a network with real-names and social relationships on a daily basis. Based on various ties, achievement, and social status built offline, the seniors are integrating their online and offline identity. Thus, this study has examined their private SNS usage patterns to explore how the SNS influences their interpersonal and social relationships, in terms of adding new characteristics. The ultimate goal of this study is to improve and enhance the social relationships of seniors offline through private SNS to boost their life satisfaction by expanding their social ties.
KeywordsSNS (Social networking service) Private SNS Senior Smart senior BAND
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hakuhodo Institute of Life and Living & Hakuhodo INC: Kyodai Shijo ‘Elder’ No Tanjo (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Murata, H.: Senior Shift No Shougeki, Diamond (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Kietzmann, J.H., Hermkens, K., McCarthy, I.P., Silvestre, B.S.: Social media? Get serious! Understanding the functional building blocks of social media. Business Horizons (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Kang, J., Kim, S., Lee, I., Kim, J.: Social Network Service Research for Quality of Life of Older Adults: Comparing Old and Young adults Using Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis. In: HCI (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Jinhyeong, L.: Diffusion and Trends of SNS. Jounal of Communication & Radio Specetrun (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Meta Trend Media Group: Trend Syncing, Hans Media (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Bomil, S.: An Exploratory Study on the Characteristics of Online Social Network and Purpose of Custimer’s Use. Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management (2013)Google Scholar