Roadside Unit Deployment Based on Traffic Information in VANETs
In this paper , based on the Vehicle-Assisted Data Delivery (VADD) routing algorithm  we present a new approach for the deployment of roadsice units (RSU) to improve the data delivery delay in VANET. The main concept of our approach is to add RSUs in intersections that can effectively improve the packet delivery delay. We will address the problem “How to decide which intersection needs to deploy RSU as a data buffer?”
The packet will buffer in a RSU and wait for a vehicle to carry it to the next hop. The RSU increases the opportunity to use wireless communication, decreases the chance to use carry and forwarding.
We have set up a simulation scenario and various traffic conditions to evaluate the performance. The simulation results show that the packet delivery ratio of proposed method has better performance than VADD about 5-10%. The delivery delay of our approach has outperformed than VADD about 15-20% on delivery delay.
KeywordsVehicular Networks (VANETs) Roadside Unit Vehicle-Assisted Data Delivery (VADD) Carry-and-Forward Wireless Sensor Networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Karp, B., Kung, H.T.: GPSR: Greedy Perimeter Stateless Routing for Wireless Networks. In: MobiCom 2000: the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 243–254 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Vahdat, A., Becker, D.: Epidemic Routing for Partially-Connected Ad Hoc Networks. Technical Report CS-200006 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhao, J., Cao, G.: VADD: Vehicle-Assisted Data Delivery in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2006, pp. 1–12 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Ding, Y., Wang, C., Xiao, L.: A Static-Node Assisted Adaptive Routing Protocol in Vehicular Networks. In: ACM International Workshop on Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, pp. 2445–2455 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Karnadi, F.K., Mo, Z.H., Lan, K.C.: Rapid Generation of Realistic Mobility Models for VANET. In: Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, pp. 2506–2511 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Naumov, V., Gross, T.R.: Connectivity-Aware Routing (CAR). In: Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, the 26th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications, pp. 1919–1927 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhao, J., Zhang, Y., Cao, G.: Data Pouring and Buffering on the Road: A New Data Dissemination Paradigm for Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 3266–3277 (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Google Maps, http://maps.google.com.tw/
- 10.QualNet Network Simulator, http://www.scalable-networks.com/