SGR-StarCraft: Somatosensory Game Rehabilitation via StarCraft
Usually the patients who need rehabilitation have to go to hospital to complete the therapy. For most of patients, conventional rehabilitation is both time consuming and uninteresting. It also spends much medical and human resources in hospitals. Thanks to the advances in interactive technologies of somatosensory, those who have physical problems can have much more convenient and interesting ways for rehabilitation via somatosensory machine such as Kinect. In this paper, we use the StarCraft strategy game as a game rehabilitation example applied with Kinect somatosensory machine to design and develop an interactive platform which can help disabled people to complete therapy of rehabilitation at home. The proposed SGR-StarCraft (Somatosensory Game Rehabilitation via StarCraft) system can correspondingly send different interactive commands to StarCraft game by checking the rehabilitation movement similarity between patient and rehabilitation professional. SGR-StarCraft also dynamically adjusts the levels of StarCraft playing difficulties to motivate patient to have willing to continue the game rehabilitation. Moreover, SGR-StarCraft can record the skeleton movement information during the game rehabilitation and medical professionals can use recorded data to advise patients to revise their rehabilitation movement in details for better therapies. In our experimental results, two improved methods applied from Euclidean distance and dynamic time warping (DTW) demonstrate their cost-effectiveness in calculating similarity scores of patients’ rehabilitation movement for SGR-StarCraft.
KeywordsKinect somatosensory machine Rehabilitation Euclidean distance Dynamic time warping StarCraft game
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kinect introduction, http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect
- 2.Fan, Y.-C.: The Performance and Motion Analysis of Virtual Reality Combined With Motion-Sensing Technology in Shoulder Joint Rehabilitation System (2013), http://ir.lib.ncu.edu.tw/handle/987654321/61605
- 3.Loongo somatosensory, http://longgood.com.tw/
- 4.Hong Kong Polytechnic University somatosensory game “step on cockroaches” Helping rehabilitation, http://www.uonline.nccu.edu.tw/index_content.asp?sn=6&an=14227
- 5.Light Coding, http://book.51cto.com/art/201211/368691.htm
- 6.StarCraft introduction, http://tw.battle.net/sc2/zh/
- 7.Age of Empires introduction, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_video_game
- 8.Chang, S.-H., Yang, N.-Y.: A Study of Dynamic Challenging Level Adapter for Real-time Strategy Games. In: IEEE 15th International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Kopaničáková, A., Virčíková, M.: Gesture Recognition using DTW and its Application Potential in Human-Centered Robotics. Robotics research paper (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Su, C.-J., Huang, J.-Y., Huang, S.-F.: Ensuring Home-based Rehabilitation Exercise by Using Kinect and Fuzzified Dynamic Time Warping Algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering & Management Systems Conference (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Jiang, H., Jie, X.: Kinect-based Rehabilitation Training Assistant System Research and Implementation. In: 2013 International Conference on Software Engineering and Computer Science. Atlantis Press (2013)Google Scholar