Prostate Tumor Identification in Ultrasound Images
There are various medical imaging instruments used for diagnosing prostatic diseases. Ultrasound imaging is the most widely used tool in clinical diagnosis. Urologist outlines the prostate and diagnoses lesions based on his/her experiences. This diagnostic process is subjective and heuristic. Active contour model (ACM) has been successfully applied to outline the prostate contour. However, application of ACM in outlining the contour needs to give the initial contour points manually. In this paper, an automatic prostate tumor identification system is proposed. The sequential floating forward selection (SFFS) is applied to select significant features. A support vector machine (SVM) with radial basis kernel function is used for prostate tumor identification. Experimental results showed that the proposed method achieved higher accuracy than those of other methods.
Keywordsprostate tumor feature selection support vector machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chang, C., Lin, C.: LIBSVM: a library for support vector machines, 2.91. ed: Citeseer (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Sahba, F., Tizhoosh, H.R., Salama, M.M.: Application of Reinforcement Learning for Segmentation of Transrectal Ultrasound Images. BMC Medical Imaging, 1471–2342 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Laws, K.: Textured image segmentation. University of southern california, Los Angeles Image Processing Institute (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.Betrouni, N., Vermandel, M., Pasquier, D., Maouche, S., Rousseau, J.: Segmentation of Abdominal Ultrasound Images of the Prostate Using a Priori Information and an Adapted Noise Filter. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 43–51 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Mohamed, S.S., Salama, M.M.: Spectral Clustering for TRUS Images. BioMedical Engineering OnLine (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, Y., Sankar, R., Qian, W.: Boundary delineation in transrectal ultrasound image for prostate cancer. Comp. Biol. Med., 1591–1599 (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Chang, C.Y., Tsai, Y.S., Wu, I.L.: Integrating Validation Incremental Neural Network And Radial-Basis Function Neural Network For Segmenting Prostate In Ultrasound Images. International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control 7, 3035–3046 (2011)Google Scholar