Personalizing E-Learning 2.0 Using Recommendations
Recommender systems support users in accessing information available on the Web. This process ensures personalization since recommendations are generated according to user’s characteristics. In the educational domain, in the most cases, recommendations refer to learning materials. Besides that, there is a potential for using recommendation techniques in order to personalize other aspects of e-learning context. This paper describes a recommendation model for providing personalization of a collaborative learning process. Well-known recommendation techniques are adapted for online learning environment that consists of an LMS and different Web 2.0 tools. The recommendations are used to support students before and during e-tivities and include four different types of items: optional e-tivities, collaborators, Web 2.0 tools and advice.
KeywordsRecommender System Recommendation Techniques E-Learning Collaborative Learning TEL Web 2.0
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adomavicius, G., Tuzhilin, A.: Toward the next generation of recommender systems: A survey of the state-of-the-art and possible extensions. IEEE Educational Activities Department (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Downes, S.: E-learning 2.0 (2005), http://elearnmag.acm.org/featured.cfm?aid=1104968 (accessed January 9, 2014)
- 4.Salmon, G.: E-tivities: the key to active online learning. Comput. Educ. 45, 223 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Holenko Dlab, M., Hoić-Božić, N.: Using Online Discussions in a Blended Learning Course (2008), http://online-journals.org/i-jet/article/view/630/594
- 6.Holenko Dlab, M., Hoić-Božić, N.: An Approach to Adaptivity and Collaboration Support in a Web-Based Learning Environment (2009), http://online-journals.org/i-jet/article/view/1071
- 10.Sheth, S., Arora, N., Murphy, C., Kaiser, G.: Wehelp: A Reference Architecture for Social Recommender Systems. Architecture, 46–47 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Holenko Dlab, M., Hoić-Božić, N.: Recommender System for Web 2.0 Supported eLearning. In: IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference Proceedings (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Leony, D., Pardo, A., Parada, G.: H.A., Delgado Kloos, C.: A cloud-based architecture for an affective recommender system of learning resources. In: International Workshop on Cloud Educational Environments, pp. 1–2 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Fleming, N.D.: I’m different; not dumb. Modes of presentation (VARK) in the tertiary classroom. In: Zelmer, A. (ed.) Research and Development in Higher Education, Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Higher Education and Research Development Society of Australasi (HERDSA), pp. 308–313 (1995)Google Scholar
- 15.ELARS - E-Learning Activities Recommender System (demo home page), http://220.127.116.11/elarsdemo (accessed January 9, 2014)