An Effective Location-Based Information Filtering System on Mobile Devices
As mobile devices evolve, research on providing location-based services attract researchers interest. A location-based service recommends information based on users geographical location provided by a mobile device. Mobile devices are engaged with users daily activities and lots of information and services are requested by users, so suggesting the proper information on mobile devices that reflects user preferences becomes more and more difficult. Lots of recent studies have tried to tackle this issue but most of them are not successful because of reasons such as using large datasets or making suggestions based on dynamically collected ratings within different groups instead of focusing on individuals. In this paper, we propose a location based information filtering system that exposes users preferences using Bayesian inferences. A Bayesian network is constructed with conditional probability table while Users characteristics and location data are gathered by using the mobile device. After preprocessing those data, the system integrates that information and uses time to produce the most accurate suggestions. We collected a dataset from 20 restaurants in Malaysia and we gathered behavioral data from two registered users for 7 days. We conducted experiment on the dataset to demonstrate effectiveness of the proposed system and to explain user preferences.
KeywordsInformation filtering Bayesian network Location-based systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Zhi-Dan, Z., Ming-Sheng, S.: User-Based Collaborative-Filtering Recommendation Algorithms on Hadoop. In: Third International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, WKDD 2010, pp. 478–481 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.SongJie, G., HongWu, Y., Hengsong, T.: Combining Memory-Based and Model-Based Collaborative Filtering in Recommender System. In: Pacific-Asia Conference on Circuits, Communications and Systems, PACCS 2009, pp. 690–693 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.BellogÃ-n, A., Wang, J., Castells, P.: Bridging memory-based collaborative filtering and text retrieval. Inf. Retrieval, 1–28 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Koren, Y., Bell, R.: Advances in Collaborative Filtering. In: Ricci, F., Rokach, L., Shapira, B., Kantor, P.B. (eds.) Recommender Systems Handbook, pp. 145–186. Springer US (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Zibin, Z., Hao, M., Lyu, M.R., King, I.: WSRec: A Collaborative Filtering Based Web Service Recommender System. In: IEEE International Conference on Web Services, ICWS 2009, pp. 437–444 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Chao, C., Helal, S., de Deugd, S., Smith, A., Chang, C.K.: Toward a collaboration model for smart spaces. In: 2012 Third International Workshop on Software Engineering for Sensor Network Applications (SESENA), pp. 37–42 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.Adomavicius, G., Tuzhilin, A.: Context-Aware Recommender Systems. In: Ricci, F., Rokach, L., Shapira, B., Kantor, P.B. (eds.) Recommender Systems Handbook, pp. 217–253. Springer US (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Ge, Y., Liu, Q., Xiong, H., Tuzhilin, A., Chen, J.: Cost-aware travel tour recommendation. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 983–991. ACM, San Diego (2011)Google Scholar
- 20.Yang, F., Wang, Z.: A mobile location-based information recommendation system based on GPS and WEB2.0 services. Database 7, 8 (2009)Google Scholar
- 22.Brunato, M., Battiti, R.: PILGRIM: A location broker and mobility-aware recommendation system. In: Proceedings of the First IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom 2003), pp. 265–272 (2003)Google Scholar