The Use of Convolutional Code for Narrowband Interference Suppression in OFDM-DVBT System
The problem of mitigating narrowband interference (NBI) due to coexistence between Digital Video Broadcasting-Terrestrial (DVB-T) and International Mobile Telecommunication-Advanced (IMT-A) system is considered. It is assumed that a spectrum of IMT-A system between 790 and 862 MHz interfere the spectrum of the OFDM signal in DVB-T band. Two types of convolutional code (CC) which are non-systematic convolutional code (NSCC) and recursive systematic convolutional code (RSCC) are proposed to mitigate NBI. The performance of the two techniques is compared under additive white Gaussian noise (AWGN) channel. It is observed that NSCC has a better bit error rate (BER) performance than RSCC. The result showed good performance for low SNR (≤5 dB).
KeywordsOFDM Convolutional code Narrowband interference DVB-T
The authors would like to thank the Malaysian government, Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) for sponsoring this work under FRGS grant no. FRGS13-026-0267.
- 1.Cho, Y.S., Kim, J., Yang, W.Y., Kang, C.-G.: MIMO-OFDM wireless communications with MATLAB. Wiley, Singapore (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.E. B. Union: Etsi en 301 701 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Batra, A., Zeidler, J.R.: Narrowband interference mitigation in OFDM systems. In: Military Communications Conference MILCOM 2008, pp. 1–7 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Shamsan, Z.A., Rahman, T.A., Al-hetar, A.M.: Point-point fixed wireless and broadcasting services coexistence with IMT-advanced system. Prog. Electromagn. Res. 122, 537–555 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Lathi, B.P.: Modern digital and analog communication systems. Oxford University Press, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Sweeney, P.: Error control coding from theory to practice. Wiley, England (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Abdullah, K.: Interference mitigation techniques for wireless OFDM. Ph.D. dissertation, RMIT, Melbourne (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Arshad, N., Basit, A.: Implementation and analysis of convolutional codes. Int. J. Multidiscip. Sci. Eng. 3(8), 9–12 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Arshad, N., Jamal, M.A.: Implementation and analysis of turbo codes using MATLAB. J. Expert Syst. (JES) 2(1), 115–118 (2013)Google Scholar