Changing Paradigm – Changing Experience?
With the introduction of MS Windows 8, Modern UI / Metro Design was established as a new design paradigm for interaction. In this paper, we evaluate the usability of Windows 8 in comparison with Windows 7 with respect to effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction. Our test was conducted on three sample rates with differing experience on MS Windows systems. The findings concerning each of the three dimensions are presented as well as results for the overall usability.
Keywordscomparative usability evaluation flat design Windows 8
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hassenzahl, M., Burmester, M., Koller, F.: Der User Experience (UX) auf der Spur: Zum Einsatz von www.attrakdiff.de. In: Brau, H., Diefenbach, S., Hassenzahl, M., Koller, F., Peissner, M., Röse, K. (eds.) Usability Professionals, pp. 78–82. German Chapter der Usability Professionals Association, Stuttgart (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.ISO. Information technology – Icon symbols and functions for controlling multimedia software applications (ISO 18035:2003). International Standards Organization, Geneva (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.ISO. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs), Part 11, Guidance on usability (ISO 9241-11:1998E). International Standards Organization, Geneva (1998) Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft. Search, share, print, and more (2014a), http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/charms-tutorial (retrieved January 19, 2014)
- 5.Microsoft. Start screen (2014b), http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/start-screen-tutorial (retrieved January 19, 2014)
- 6.Nielsen Norman Group. Thinking Aloud: The #1 Usability Tool (2014), http://www.nngroup.com/articles/thinking-aloud-the-1-usability-tool/ (retrieved January 22, 2014)
- 7.Sauro, J., Lewis, J.R.: Quantifying the User Experience. Elsevier/Morgan Kaufmann, Amsterdam (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.TechSmith. Morae (2013), http://www.techsmith.com/morae.html (retrieved October 09, 2013)
- 9.User Interface Design GmbH. AttrakDiff (2013), http://attrakdiff.de/sience-en.html (retrieved January 20, 2014)