Experiencing CSR in Asia: A Social Media Perspective from the Outside In
This paper focuses on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) as strongly linked to expectations for corporations in the cultural contexts in which they operate. Using an approach based in a macro-level for socio-technical design, it examines the interaction between digital activist efforts to (re)define CSR and corporate responses to these efforts. Two cases of interaction between stakeholders and corporations with activist interventions are examined. Findings demonstrate that this interaction around CSR is often indirect, and misses a critical interaction around contesting knowledge. This calls into question the viability of CSR practices mediated by policy and NGOs, because businesses appear to be simply adopting mediators’ perspectives to avoid a crisis rather than building a strategy based on critical engagement with the issues.
KeywordsSocio-Technical Design Culture Knowledge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.PETA, Learn About PETA (2013), http://www.peta.org/about-peta/learn-about-peta/ (accessed December 20, 2013)
- 9.PETA. About us (2013), http://www.peta.org/about-peta/ (accessed December 20, 2013)
- 10.PETA. Blog: “Update: Photos of the Day: Shoppers ‘Return’ ‘Bloody Rabbits’ to Gap” (2013), http://www.peta.org/blog/bloody-rabbits-gap/#ixzz2sa2OZQr3 (accessed December 31, 2013)
- 11.PETA. Action: “Ask Airlines to stop shipping monkeys to be tortured” (2013), http://www.peta.org/action/action-alerts/ask-airlines-stop-shipping-monkeys-tortured/ (accessed December 31, 2013)
- 12.PETA. Facebook Page (2014), https://www.facebook.com/officialpeta (accessed January 15, 2014)
- 13.PETA. Twitter Page (2014), https://twitter.com/peta (accessed January 15, 2014)
- 14.PETA. Instagram Page (2014), http://instagram.com/officialpeta (accessed January 15, 2014)
- 15.PETA. YouTube: “The Truth Behind Angora Fur” (2014), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtAFHyXS31M (accessed December 31, 2013)
- 16.Journeyman Pictures. YouTube: Journeyman TV channel (2014), https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM2YmsRUeIbRkqjgNm0eTGQ (accessed January 6, 2014)
- 17.Journeyman Pictures. The Abuse behind Cambodian Garment Worker Protests (January 6, 2014), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8L_E2x5Aic (accessed January 6, 2014)
- 18.Stromberg, P.: (2013), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD71SHK-X6E (accessed January 6, 2014)
- 19.H&M. About the Factory Collapse in Cambodia, http://about.hm.com/AboutSection/en/news/newsroom.html (accessed September 1, 2013)