Examining the Functionality and Usability of Interactive Wayfinding Design within Cities in China
In recent years, wayfinding is one of the aspects in urban city design that emerge with digital technologies in the smart city  development in China. However, before building a smart city, some issues need to be solved in the wayfinding system within cities in China such as misleading signs, irrational roadway design in transportation. This field study report is part of my research project, in which examples of three prime cities (Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong) and two 2nd tier cities (Suzhou, Nanjing) are discussed to examine the functionality and usability of interactive wayfinding design. The findings of this report showed that emerging new technologies with wayfinding concept and theory that is based on user experience makes wayfinding more effective and functional. Some alternative guidelines and solutions of usable wayfinding design are provided to help people live in a safe environment rather than live in just a fully digitalized city.
Keywordsinteractive wayfinding wayfinding design user experience urban infrastructure mobile internet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Smart City: Opportunity and Challenge for Enterprises, http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2012-11/15/content_15935688.htm
- 3.Shannon, C.E., Weaver, W.: The Mathematical Theory of Communication, 1st Printing edn. University of Illinois Press, USA (1971)Google Scholar
- 4.Brando, K.C.: Wayfinding definition, http://www.kellybrandondesign.com/IGDWayfinding.html (retrieved)
- 5.Lynch, K.: The Image of the City. The MIT Press, USA (1960)Google Scholar
- 7.Gibson, D.: The Wayfinding Handbook: Information Design for Public Places. Liaoning Science and technology Publishing House, China (2010) (Chinese Edition) Google Scholar
- 8.Berger, C.M.: Oriented Logo: Graphical Navigation System Design and Implementation. Electronic Industry Press, China (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Calori, C.: Signage and Wayfinding Design. Publishing House Electronics Industry, China (2013) (Chinese Edition)Google Scholar
- 18.CNNIC - Statistical Survey on Internet Development in China (June 2013), http://www1.cnnic.cn/IDR/ReportDownloads/201310/P020131029430558704972.pdf (retrieved)
- 22.Cohen, M.H., Giangola, J., Balogh, J.: Voice User Interface Design. Addison-Wesley Proessional, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 26.Mobile location apps, http://www.webmapsolutions.com/mobile-location-apps
- 28.Apple iOS ICar, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5OZMu5u0y