A Smart Camera for Traffic Surveillance
An intelligent surveillance system based on visual information gathered by smart cameras, aimed at traffic monitoring with emphasis on traffic events caused by cars, is presented in the paper. The system components and their capabilities for automatic detection and recognition of selected parameters of cars, as well as different aspects of system efficiency, are described and discussed in detail. Smart facilities for Make and Model Recognition (MMR), License Plate Recognition (LPR) and Color Recognition (CR), embedded in the system in the form of their individual software implementations, are analyzed and their recognition rates detailed. Finally, a discussion of the system’s efficiency as a whole, with an insight into possible future improvements, is included in the conclusion.
Keywordsintelligent camera surveillance system vehicle recognition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shi, Y., Lichman, S.: Smart Cameras: A Review. CCTV Focus (36), 34–43 & (37), 38–45 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.IC Insights’ 2013 O-S-D Report (2013), http://www.icinsights.com/services/osd-report/ (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 3.Status of the CMOS Image Sensors Industry, http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/status-of-the-cmos-image-sensors-industry-187871741.html (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 4.http://www.matrox.com/imaging/media/pdf/products/iris_gt_mil/iris_gt_mil.pdf (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 5.http://www.matrox.com/imaging/en/products/software/mil/ (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 7.http://www.salsa-autonomik.de/ (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 9.Baran, R., Glowacz, A., Matiolanski, A.: The efficient real-and non-real-time make and model recognition of cars. Multimedia Tools and Applications (2013), doi:10.1007/s11042-013-1545-2.Google Scholar
- 11.http://www.springsource.org (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 12.http://exif.org/specifications.html (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 15.Witten, I.H., Frank, E.: Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.http://tesseract-ocr.repairfaq.org/ (viewed February 10, 2014)
- 17.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11N6828, MPEG-7 Overview v10. MPEG, Palma de Mallorca (October 2004)Google Scholar