Two-Term Disjunctions on the Second-Order Cone
Balas introduced disjunctive cuts in the 1970s for mixed-integer linear programs. Several recent papers have attempted to extend this work to mixed-integer conic programs. In this paper we develop a methodology to derive closed-form expressions for inequalities describing the convex hull of a two-term disjunction applied to the second-order cone. Our approach is based on first characterizing the structure of undominated valid linear inequalities for the disjunction and then using conic duality to derive a family of convex, possibly nonlinear, valid inequalities that correspond to these linear inequalities. We identify and study the cases where these valid inequalities can equivalently be expressed in conic quadratic form and where a single inequality from this family is sufficient to describe the convex hull. Our results on two-term disjunctions on the second-order cone generalize related results on split cuts by Modaresi, Kılınç, and Vielma, and by Andersen and Jensen.
KeywordsMixed-integer conic programming second-order cone programming cutting planes disjunctive cuts
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benson, H., Saglam, U.: Mixed-integer second-order cone programming: A survey. Tutorials in Operations Research. In: INFORMS, Hanover, MD, pp. 13–36 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Belotti, P.: Disjunctive cuts for nonconvex MINLP. In: Lee, J., Leyffer, S. (eds.) Mixed Integer Nonlinear Programming. The IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its Applications, vol. 154. Springer, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Drewes, S.: Mixed Integer Second Order Cone Programming. PhD thesis, Technische Universität Darmstadt (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Kılınç-Karzan, F.: On minimal valid inequalities for mixed integer conic programs. GSIA Working Paper Number: 2013-E20, GSIA, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (June 2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Bienstock, D., Michalka, A.: Cutting planes for optimization of convex functions over nonconvex sets. Working paper (May 2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Modaresi, S., Kılınç, M., Vielma, J.: Intersection cuts for nonlinear integer programming: Convexification techniques for structured sets. Working paper (March 2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Belotti, P., Goez, J.C., Polik, I., Ralphs, T., Terlaky, T.: A conic representation of the convex hull of disjunctive sets and conic cuts for integer second order cone optimization. Technical report, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA (June 2012)Google Scholar