File Formats Security – Proprietary vs. Open-Source
Privacy and confidentiality are important components of digital literacy. Yet nowadays documents can be found online, which apparently consist only of one or two pages yet have huge file size - even several megabytes. Such documents may contain sensitive data that has been deleted but actually is still there. Our study provides an analysis of such cases in public sector of Estonia. Based on experiments and public sector web page analysis we describe security threats and features of different file formats and offer suggestions for their use, e.g. we found that using open-source formats like OpenDocument may help prevention of accidental disclosure of data.
Keywordsprivacy confidentiality file format proprietary open-source vendor lock-in
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.van Hamel, A.: The Privacy Piece: Report on Privacy Competencies in Digital Literacy Programs in Canada, Britain, Australia, America, and Brazil. University of Ottawa (November 2011), https://www.priv.gc.ca/information/research-recherche/2011/hamel_201111_e.asp (retrieved)
- 2.RISO. Estonian Interoperability Framework (2011), http://www.riso.ee/en/estonian-interoperability-framework (retrieved)
- 3.RISO. Estonian state it architecture (2007), http://www.riso.ee/et/koosvoime/arhitektuur (retrieved)
- 5.PC Magazine. PDF File Format to Become Open Standard (2007); PC Magazine Online (2007), http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2088283,00.asp (retrieved)
- 7.Microsoft, 3. Differences between the opendocument text (.odt) format and the word (.docx) format (2013), http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/differences-between-the-opendocument-text-odt-format-and-.the-word-docx-format-HA010355788.aspx (retrieved)
- 9.Microsoft, 1. Inspect documents for hidden data and personal information (2013), http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/inspect-documents-for-hidden-data-and-personal-information-HA010074435.aspx (retrieved)
- 10.Microsoft, 2. Remove hidden data and personal information by inspecting documents (2013), http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/remove-hidden-data-and-personal-information-by-inspecting-documents-HA010354329.aspx (retrieved)