Activity Recognition in Assistive Environments: The STHENOS Approach
The paper presents the research conducted within the framework of the STHENOS project (www.sthenos.gr), which aims at the development of methodologies and systems for assistive environments. The proposed systems and applications are capable of recognizing the human activities and assist disabled or elder persons in performing every day activities and detect abnormal situations such as a fall or long periods of inactivity. The paper includes the technical details of the proposed activity recognition methodology using fisheye video cameras and wearable sensors. Initial results have proven the feasibility of the adopted approaches and the efficiency of the implemented system.
KeywordsAssistive Environments Pervasive Healthcare Activity Recognition Fisheye video Wearable sensors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Maglogiannis, I., Vouyioukas, D., Aggelopoulos, C.: Face Detection and Recognition of Human Emotion Using Markov Random Fields. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing 13(1), 95–101 (2009), doi:10.1007/s00779-007-0165-0Google Scholar
- 2.Makedon, F., Le, Z., Huang, H., Becker, E., Kosmopoulos, D.: An Event Driven Framework for Assistive CPS Environments. In: ACM SIGBED Review - Special Issue on the 2nd Joint Workshop on High Confidence Medical Devices, Software, and Systems (HCMDSS) and Medical Device Plug-and-Play (MD PnP) Interoperability, vol. 6(2), pp. 28–36 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Kosmopoulos, D., Doulamis, A., Makris, A., Doulamis, N., Chatzis, S., Middleton, S.: Vision-based production of personalised video. Signal Processing: Image Communication 24(3), 158–176 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Delibasis, K., Goudas, T., Plagianakos, V., Maglogiannis, I.: Fisheye Camera Modeling for Human Segmentation Refinement in Indoor Videos. In: Proc. of 6th ACM International Conference on Pervasive Technologies Related to Assistive Environments (PETRA 2013). ACM, Rhodes (2013), doi:10.1145/2504335.2504375Google Scholar
- 8.Goldberg, D.: Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning. Addison Wesley (1989) ISBN:0201157675Google Scholar
- 10.Kohavi, R.: Scaling Up the Accuracy of Naive-Bayes Classifiers: A Decision-Tree Hybrid. In: Second International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 202–207 (1996)Google Scholar