Easy Handheld Training: Interactive Self-learning App for Elderly Smartphone Novices
Smartphones have great potential for elderly people to enrich their lives. Elderly people, however, hesitate to use smartphones compared to younger people due to several factors such as anxieties about the difficulties of unfamiliar devices and the lack of daily assistance. Moreover, a conventional research reported that elderly IT novices struggled with basic operations in the first stage. Hence, we tried to find the common issues faced by the elderly with no previous smartphone experience and then created an interactive self-learning application (app) of the basic smartphone operations. Our demonstration app was designed to give "hands-on" experience by using integrated real videos. Results of usability testing showed that the subjects easily learned by themselves how to operate the smartphones without background information. The subjective evaluation results showed that the app engaged the interest of the subjects and also gave them confidence about acquiring operational skills by themselves.
KeywordsInteractive self-learning app real videos elderly people user interfaces smartphones
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zajicek, M.: Interface Design for Older Adults. In: Proceedings of the 2001 EC/NSF Workshop on Universal Accessibility of Ubiquitous Computing: Providing for the Elderly (WUAUC 2001), pp. 60–65 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Weilenmann, A.: Learning to Text: An Interaction Analytic Study of How Seniors Learn to Enter Text on Mobile Phones. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2010), New York, pp. 1135–1144 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Poole, E.S., Chetty, M., Morgan, T., Grinter, R.E., Edwards, W.K.: Computer Help at Home: Methods and Motivations for Informal Technical Support. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2009), New York, pp. 739–748 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Olwal, A., Lachanas, D., Zacharouli, E.: OldGen: Mobile Phone Personalization for Older Adults. In: Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2011), pp. 3393–3396. ACM Press, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Weld, D.S., Anderson, C., Domingos, P., Etzioni, O., Gajos, K., Lau, T., Wolfman, S.: Automatically Personalizing User Interfaces. In: Proceedings of the 18th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2003), California, pp. 1613–1619 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Digmayer, C., Jakobs, E.-M.: Help Features in Community-Based Open Innovation Contests. Multimodal video tutorials for the elderly. In: Proceedings of the 30th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication (SIGDOC 2012), pp. 79–88. ACM Press, New York (2012)Google Scholar