Engaging People with Cultural Heritage: Users’ Perspective
Although Culture is a very important asset of population and a driver for personal and economic development, the engagement of citizens with their cultural heritage environment remains low. The European project TAG CLOUD explores the use of cloud-based technologies that lead to adaptability and personalisation to promote lifelong engagement with Culture. Within the context of this project, early-stage evaluations with users have been carried out for designing the scenarios and use cases that will be developed, and will act as a general framework, for the project. This paper presents the results of two evaluations: the user-driven evaluation conducted in the Monumental Complex of Alhambra and Generalife, which assessed the main users‘ needs and expectations; and the Cultural Heritage managers’ focus group, which assessed technologies and approaches for alignment with users’ expectations.
Keywordsengagement cultural heritage UCD ICT TAG CLOUD
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eurobarometer 67.1 (2007), http://ec.europa.eu/culture/pdf/doc958_en.pdf (accessed October 14, 2013)
- 2.TAG CLOUD project, CN. 600924, 7th Framework Programme, ICT for access to cultural resources (February 2013), http://www.tagcloudproject.eu/
- 3.Abras, C., Maloney-Krichmar, D., Preece, J.: User-Centered Design. In: Bainbridge, W. (ed.) Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Carroll, J.M.: Five reasons for scenario-based design. In: Interacting with Computers, vol. 13. Elsevier (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Isaac, A., Matthezing, H., van der Meij, L.: The value of usage scenarios for thesaurus alignment in Cultural Heritage context. In: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Cultural Heritage on the Semantic Web, 6th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2007), Busan, Corea (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Gartner, Inc., Gartner’s 2013 Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies Maps Out Evolving Relationship Between Humans and Machines (2013); Online Published (August 19, 2013), http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2575515 (accessed December 11, 2014)
- 7.Anderson, G.: Reinventing the museum: historical and contemporary perspectives on the paradigm shift. AltaMira Press, Walnut Creek (2004)Google Scholar