Prediction of an Optimum Parametric Combination for Minimum Thrust Force in Bone Drilling: A Simulated Annealing Approach
Minimally invasive drilling of bone has a great demand in orthopaedic surgical process as it helps in better fixation and quick healing of the damaged bones. The aim of the present study is to find out the optimal setting of the bone drilling parameters (spindle speed and feed rate) for minimum thrust force during bone drilling using simulated annealing (SA). The bone drilling experiments were carried out by central composite design scheme and based on the results obtained, a response surface model for thrust force as a function of drilling parameters is developed. This model is used as an objective function in the SA approach. The results of the confirmation experiments showed that the SA can effectively predict the optimal settings of spindle speed and feed rate for minimum thrust force during bone drilling. The suggested methodology can be very useful for orthopaedic surgeons to minimize the drilling induced bone tissue injury.
KeywordsBone drilling Thrust force Response surface methodology Simulated annealing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Thompson, H.C.: Effect of drilling into bone. Journal of Oral Surgery 16, 22–30 (1958)Google Scholar
- 11.Abouzgia, M.B., James, D.F.: Temperature rise during drilling through bone. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants 12, 342–3531 (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Hobkirk, J.A., Rusiniak, K.: Investigation of variable factors in drilling bone. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 35, 968–973 (1977)Google Scholar
- 15.Myers, R.H., Montgomery, D.C.: Response surface methodology, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (2002) ISBN 0-471-41255-4Google Scholar
- 16.Box, G.E.P., Hunter, J.S., Hunter, W.G.: Statistics for experimenters, 2nd edn. Wiley, New York (2005) ISBN 13978-0471-71813-0Google Scholar
- 20.Glover, F., Gary, A.K.: Hand book of metaheuristics. Kluwer, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 24.Design Expert, http://www.statease.com/dx8descr.html