Data Prediction Based on User Preference
Recommender systems are admittedly the widely used applications over the internet E commerce sites and thus the success of a recommender system depends on the time and accuracy of the results returned in response to information supplied by the users.Now-a-days, many big E commerce systems and even social networking portals provide the facility of recommendation on their sites, thus underscoring the demand for effective and accurate recommendation system. But still most of the recommender systems suffer from the problem of cold start, sparsity and popularity bias of the provided recommendation. Also, these recommender systems are unable to provide the recommendation to someone with unique taste. This paper describes a preference based recommender system and collaborative filtering approach which is used to solve prediction and recommendation problem. The collaborative filtering aims at learning predictive model of user interests, behavior from community data or user preferences. It describes a family of model-based approaches designed for this task. Probabilistic latent semantic analysis (PLSA) was presented in the context of data retrieval or text analysis area.This work can be used to predict user ratings in the recommendation system context. It is based on a statistical modeling technique which introduces a latent class of variables in a mixture model setting to discover prototypical interest profiles and user communities. The main advantages of PLSA over memory-based methods are an explicit, constant time prediction and more accurate compact model. It can be used to mine for the user community. The experimental results show substantial improvement in prediction accuracy over existing methods.
KeywordsRecommender systems Information Search and Retrieval Information filtering Probabilistic Latent Semantic Analysis Collaborative Filtering mixture models latent semantic analysis machine learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hofmann, T.: Probabilistic Latent Semantic Indexing. In: Annual ACM Conference on Research & Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 50–57 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Bilmes, J.A.: A Gentle Tutorial of the EM Algorithm and its Application to Parameter Estimation for Gaussian Mixture and Hidden Markov Models. International Computer Science Institute (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Adomavicius, G., Sankaranarayanan, R., Sen, S., Tuzhilin, A.: Incorporating Contextual Information in Recommender Systems Using a Multidimensional Approach. ACM Transactions in Information Systems 23(1) (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Ansari, A., Essegaier, S., Kohli, R.: Internet Recommendations Systems. Journal of Marketing Research, 363–375 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison-Wesley (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Buhmann, M.D.: Approximation and Interpolation with Radial Functions. In: Dyn, N., Leviatan, D., Levin, D., Pinkus, A. (eds.) Multivariate Approximation and Applications, Cambridge University Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Burke, R.: Knowledge-Based Recommender Systems: Encyclopedia of Library and Information Systems. In: Kent, A. (ed.), vol. 69 (supple. 32). Marcel Dekker (2000)Google Scholar